× Members

How reliable are stated ESA review dates?

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114486 by Porridge
If you get your ESA renewed with a letter stating that it will be reviewed on X date, then a few months later renew DLA, receiving an indefinite award for the DLA, will you still definitely have to fill-in a whole new ESA renewal form when, or before the previously stated review date for ESA? And are review dates reliable and always stuck-to? Thank you.

“There isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114490 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic How reliable are stated ESA review dates?

Porridge wrote: If you get your ESA renewed with a letter stating that it will be reviewed on X date, then a few months later renew DLA, receiving an indefinite award for the DLA, will you still definitely have to fill-in a whole new ESA renewal form when, or before the previously stated review date for ESA? And are review dates reliable and always stuck-to? Thank you.

DLA and ESA are separate benefits, so a DLA award will have no impact on when your ESA will be re-assessed. The majority of ESA claims are re-assessed at the expected time, although we have recently been told by some members that that expected reviews have not occurred and they are still waiting for the paperwork, this may be related to the current delays in the system.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114493 by Porridge
Replied by Porridge on topic How reliable are stated ESA review dates?
Thank you so much for your advice Gordon. I appreciate that they are separate benefits, but I thought that as the DLA award and the ESA are both for a severe, in curable and progress disease which has nothing to do with mobility, it might mean that the higher rate care DLA award might have some influence over the ESA review. It's difficult for me to get my head around the idea that in all circumstances and cases that the two benefits are dealt with by two entirely separate bureaucracies.

“There isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114496 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic How reliable are stated ESA review dates?

Porridge wrote: Thank you so much for your advice Gordon. I appreciate that they are separate benefits, but I thought that as the DLA award and the ESA are both for a severe, in curable and progress disease which has nothing to do with mobility, it might mean that the higher rate care DLA award might have some influence over the ESA review. It's difficult for me to get my head around the idea that in all circumstances and cases that the two benefits are dealt with by two entirely separate bureaucracies.

The two benefits have very different qualifying criteria, the only area of overlap is to do with incontinence and even then it would be possible to validly be awarded one and not the other.

A DLA award can be used as evidence of disability for an ESA claim, but would not in itself result in any ESA award being made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porridge

More
10 years 4 months ago #114502 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic How reliable are stated ESA review dates?
Just to add to what Gordon has said - under IB, some people used to be exempt from assessment if they received high rates of DLA. There is no such exception with ESA.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.