× Members

ESA

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #114607 by JaneDean
ESA was created by JaneDean
Hi,

Have just received a letter regarding my claim for ESA and am unsure about what some of it means.
I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

I have been placed in the Support Group but the letter doesn't say how long for?!

I am entitled to contribution-based ESA and it seems to be saying I will be taxed on this. Would this be much and do I have to inform anyone about this?

I also notice it say's there may not be an annual increase in the amount of ESA and am not sure why

I've also had a separate letter telling me I may be entitled to income-related ESA but don't understand whether this is in addition to, or instead of, contribution-based ESA.

Sorry to be so thick!
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #114609 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA
Jean

ESA is an indefinite award with regular re-assessment, the DWP should have your next re-assessment date on the computer so give them a call, failing that, the prognosis from the ESA85(A), which can be requested from the DWP, is used to set the date.

Contribution Based ESA is liable to tax, but whether you have to pay any will be dependent on your personal allowance and what other income you have, you should inform HMRC that this is now being paid.

ESA rates are normally increased in April any letter detailing your payments, now, will not take this into account.

You may also be entitled to an ESA(IR) payment in addition to your ESA(CB) one as being in the SG entitles you to the Enhanced Disability Premium which is payable with ESA(IR), this will be dependant on your household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works, Expect to receive an ESA3 which captures this information for the DWP.

Well done on the SG award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JaneDean

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114666 by JaneDean
Replied by JaneDean on topic ESA
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your reply.

The part of the letter I don't understand is 'The amount of Employment and Support Allowance you get may not change when benefit rates are increased each year'.

There was always an increase in Incapacity Benefit in April of each year.

Might this be because ESA is actually less than Incapacity Benefit and there will be no annual increase until ESA rates catch up?

I'm struggling a bit trying to make sense of it all. Hope someone can help with this.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114667 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA

Jean wrote: Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your reply.

The part of the letter I don't understand is 'The amount of Employment and Support Allowance you get may not change when benefit rates are increased each year'.

There was always an increase in Incapacity Benefit in April of each year.

Might this be because ESA is actually less than Incapacity Benefit and there will be no annual increase until ESA rates catch up?

I'm struggling a bit trying to make sense of it all. Hope someone can help with this.

If you are also receiving a Transitional Payment to make your ESA payments up to the same amount as you received on IB then although your ESA payment will increase, a corresponding amount will be deducted from the Transitional Payment until it is completely eroded, leaving your actual payments unchanged.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JaneDean

• bro58
10 years 4 months ago #114668 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA
Hi J,

See : What will I be paid?

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.