× Members

From IB to ESA Wrag

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114979 by ellen
From IB to ESA Wrag was created by ellen
Hi, this is my first post.
I have received my letter saying that I am being placed in the wrag group and I didn't have to have a medical. I would like to consider asking for a mandatory reconsideration to be placed in the support group, but I am really worried that they could make a decision to take away everything. Has anybody had this happen to them and are there any figures about how successful it is to go from wrag to support group on reconsideration. The only other thing that I think I could offer is if I could get a letter of support from my doctor. Also just wanted to check that, if I ask for an explanation of their decision first, that they won't take that as asking for a mandatory reconsideration.
I would be grateful for any advice. Thankyou.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by bro58. Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AaronL
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114985 by AaronL
Replied by AaronL on topic From IB to ESA Wrag

ellen wrote: Hi, this is my first post.
I have received my letter saying that I am being placed in the wrag group and I didn't have to have a medical. I would like to consider asking for a mandatory reconsideration to be placed in the support group, but I am really worried that they could make a decision to take away everything. Has anybody had this happen to them and are there any figures about how successful it is to go from wrag to support group on reconsideration. The only other thing that I think I could offer is if I could get a letter of support from my doctor. Also just wanted to check that, if I ask for an explanation of their decision first, that they won't take that as asking for a mandatory reconsideration.
I would be grateful for any advice. Thankyou.

If you ask for a mandatory reconsideration it is possible that they look at your claim and decide that you are fit for work.
I don't know the figures about how successful it is to go from wrag to the support group.
If you did go down this route a letter could help and you would need a compelling argument why you should be placed in the support group.
You can ask for a copy of the ESA85 medical report from the DWP which will explain how they came to their decision to place you in the wrag.

There is more information in the guides:
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by AaronL.

• bro58
10 years 4 months ago #114990 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic From IB to ESA Wrag
Hi e,

You may find the following FAQ's informative, as well :

Mandatory Reconsiderations FAQ's

bro58

More
10 years 4 months ago #114992 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic From IB to ESA Wrag
It is unlikely they will remove your entitlement, but possible. First you should think about whether you have a clear entitlement for the WRAG and whether you have evidence to support this. Next you will want to look at the support group criteria to see if any apply and get evidence to back this up. Any doctors letter will need to say specifically how you fit the criteria not just confirm your diagnosis. Asking for a written explanation of the decision should not trigger a reconsideration as long as you do not mention it in the letter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ellen

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116053 by ellen
Replied by ellen on topic From IB to ESA Wrag
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I asked for an explanation of their decision and then followed up by asking for a mandatory reconsideration as I felt that the decision was wrong and I sent a letter explaining why.
I have had a phone call today telling me that they are overturning the original decision and I am being placed in the support group - I am so relieved!
I am so grateful for all the helpful guides and information on this site and thought it may be helpful to someone to know my outcome.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116057 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic From IB to ESA Wrag
In my experience it is unusual for someone to have their award increased after a reconsideration and usually takes an appeal. I can only assume you wrote a very clear letter. Thank you for letting us know of your success.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.