× Members

ESA Form & GP Evidence

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115185 by Ditzee
ESA Form & GP Evidence was created by Ditzee
I am new to this site and would greatly appreciate some advice. I have been in receipt of ESA Income Based for approximately 22 months and was placed in the Support Group following a home assessment after my GP faxed letter to ATOS requesting a home visit due to my agoraphobia. I am wondering if I should ask my GP if she would be prepared to write me a letter of support to accompany my ESA form submission or if I should simply complete the form and wait to see if an assessment is absolutely necessary? If this is the case, how does my GP "word" her letter of support? I think the level of my agoraphobia, and I suffer from social phobia too fits descriptors for sections 15 and 16. Would I literally have to speak to my GP and tell her what wording is required?
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115195 by
Replied by on topic ESA Form & GP Evidence

Ditzee wrote: I am new to this site and would greatly appreciate some advice. I have been in receipt of ESA Income Based for approximately 22 months and was placed in the Support Group following a home assessment after my GP faxed letter to ATOS requesting a home visit due to my agoraphobia. I am wondering if I should ask my GP if she would be prepared to write me a letter of support to accompany my ESA form submission or if I should simply complete the form and wait to see if an assessment is absolutely necessary? If this is the case, how does my GP "word" her letter of support? I think the level of my agoraphobia, and I suffer from social phobia too fits descriptors for sections 15 and 16. Would I literally have to speak to my GP and tell her what wording is required?

Hi D,

We always advise that any supportive evidence should be sent with the ESA50, where at all possible.

One should ensure that they do not miss the deadline date for return of the ESA50, if they can't obtain the letter of support in time.

You can always forward it on to ATOS after posting the ESA50, with a covering letter stating that you wish this evidence to be taken into account with the ESA50.

How and what your G.P. will write in any supportive letter will depend on the individual G.P.

Some G.P.'s are refusing to provide any form of written support for benefits claims/assessments.

Try not to put words into your G.P.'s mouth, you could print off a copy of the descriptors, and ask the G.P. which of them they think would apply to you.

In your case it would seem to be Activity 15 & 16.

Activity 15, "Getting about." is a WRAG descriptor, and even if you score the maximum 15 points with this, which would place you into the WRAG, as there is no corresponding SG Descriptor, it would not gain you access to The SG also :

"15(a) Cannot get to any place outside the claimant’s home with which the claimant is familiar."

WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Descriptors

Activity 16, "Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder." is also a WRAG descriptor.

However, if you can score the maximum 15 points here :

"16(a) Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the claimant."

As this corresponds to Activity 13 of the SG Descriptors, it also places you into The SG :

"13. Coping with social engagement, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder."

"13 Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the claimant."

SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors

So scoring the maximum 15 points at Activity 16 (a) of the WRAG descriptors, would also place you into The SG under Activity 13 of The SG Descriptors.

bro58

10 years 4 months ago #115197 by
Hi D,

To refresh your understanding of the qualifying criteria, you may wish to review :

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

&

ESA Claims Guides

There has been a recent Upper Tier ruling on "Social Engagement" which may be helpful. :

CE 4125 2012

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries.

bro58

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115198 by
Hi D,

As you are "new" I should have also said :

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

You may wish to consider :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides under the heading of "ESA Claims and Appeals - Current forms"

On this page :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

Remember to make allowances for the Xmas holidays when posting your ESA50, so that ATOS receive it by the deadline.

ATOS and The DWP do not make any allowances.

bro58

More
10 years 4 months ago #115199 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic ESA Form & GP Evidence
Yes as Bro says getting medical evidence would be the best way to avoid another medical. I would also mention that you are in the support group now on the form as Atos may not know this. It would be good if your GP said something along the lines of 'cannot undertake any work related activity because...'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ditzee

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115260 by Ditzee
Replied by Ditzee on topic ESA Form & GP Evidence
Thanks for the very helpful advice. I have contacted my GP's surgery and she is booked in to call me on Monday so I will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.