× Members

ESA, National Insurance and Occupational Pension

• sunshine
  • Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115309 by sunshine
I am currently in the 13 week assessment phase of the ESA process and aged 51. After appealing against a decision not to grant ill health retirement, this has now been overturned.
If my weekly pension will be approximately £250 per week, I have estimated that my ESA will be reduced by £82 per week. Will it be worth still claiming ESA as I may try and get some part time work as well?
What happens to National Insurance payments? Are they paid for me when I am on ESA? What about if I come off ESA what would I need to do regarding National Insurance?
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by bro58. Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #115324 by Gordon

sunshine wrote: I am currently in the 13 week assessment phase of the ESA process and aged 51. After appealing against a decision not to grant ill health retirement, this has now been overturned.
If my weekly pension will be approximately £250 per week, I have estimated that my ESA will be reduced by £82 per week. Will it be worth still claiming ESA as I may try and get some part time work as well?
What happens to National Insurance payments? Are they paid for me when I am on ESA? What about if I come off ESA what would I need to do regarding National Insurance?

I think it unlikely that you will receive any payments while you are awaiting a Decision on your claim as the amount taken into account from your pension will exceed the ESA Assessment rate, but should you qualify for the WRAG or Support Group then there should some ESA payable.

While you receive ESA you will receive NI Credits which count towards a full State Pension, if you are not receiving ESA then you may be able to purchase NI Credits through Additional Voluntary Contributions, although I am not sure whether there are additional criteria that might prevent this, otherwise you can only receive NI Contributions through paid employment or by purchasing them while doing registered self-employment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sunshine

More
10 years 4 months ago #115339 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic ESA, National Insurance and Occupational Pension
You can still do some part time work whilst on ESA. The rules around this will depend on what group you are placed in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sunshine

More
10 years 4 months ago #115341 by slugsta

Puccalove wrote: You can still do some part time work whilst on ESA. The rules around this will depend on what group you are placed in.

You would need to notify DWP first and get their agreement that what you want to do would be classed as 'permitted work'. You should be very careful to ensure that nothing in the work you wish to do clashes with the your impairments as reported on the ESA50 form.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 4 months ago #115342 by bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.