× Members

Hatchet job! Need advice

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115397 by tmato2001
Hatchet job! Need advice was created by tmato2001
Hello everyone who use this incredible website. This is my first day I’ve managed to keep my stress anxiety and depression at bay. And want to share my experience to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience. I’m going to summarise my present dispute. It would take too long to put all details in.

Due to my failing the assessment in March this last year I was told to seek JSA as I was deemed fit to work a 40hr week. My case is very complicated, due to my doctor of 5 years, leaving the practice less than one month after my assessment, thus not able to get a letter from him for the appeal.

Without going into what illnesses I have (all genuine) my dilemma is of the abusive and the despicable conniving between Atos and the DWP.

The tribunal papers plus the DWPs file are now in my possession. (the date is set for late Jan 2014 and I’m still gathering evidence due to moving home) All the descriptors about my illness have been written in a very sloppy form, leaving out all the valuable information that I gave to the HCP that should have convinced the HCP to write and disclose my serious disability as I explained it. The HPC has (in my opinion) deliberately did not enclose evidence I spoke of
All that aside here is what I wish to tell you all in case it happens to others in the future, as I have not come across a similar case in this forum.

January 2012 I take my now 3rd assessment in 20 years as the new Govt comes in with it’s new standards of regulation (I failed the first assessment 1980s but passed the second one 1990s) to assess people fit for work and get them off benefits. In February 2012 I pass and get put into the “support group”, (now comes the dilemma) with a letter I still possess (Atos has lost the original which they have not returned) with a review date of late February 2013.

Then the serious and indisputable reputation of Atos shows it’s negligence and cunning ways to get results for the new system. In my case it all started with a letter (which to my everlasting sadness and dismay got lost) asking me to:- “complete this ESA50 questionnaire because the benefits are now changing from ‘Income support’ / ‘incapacity benefit’ to the new ‘Employment support allowance’

I could not believe my eyes at what I was reading, (to cut a very long story down with all the detail) I immediately called the Atos offices (where I had the assessment in January 2013) and told them that I’ve had an assessment in Jan 2012 and "I was placed into the support group in receipt of ESA", ongoing, so why have they sent this new claim to change a benefit I’m already in receipt of?

They told me “You still have to complete the questionnaire and send it in within the 1 month limit”. I immediately said “ who has authorised this”? To which they replied. “The DWP”. So I later spoke with the DWP who deal with my benefits claims to ask. Firstly, A), “did they authorise this”? Answer, “NO”! B), “Why has Atos said that you have authorised this”? Answer, “We don't know” C), “should I fill in this questionnaire which you didn't authorise”? Answer, “NO we do not know anything about this claim and did not give any authorisation to them
Again to my deepest regret to this day I did not get this in writing, I was in shock! (I have since written on three occasions requesting the transcript of this call, Guess what?) So with a suggestion from the DWP to inform Atos of this new information I wrote to them after mid December 2012 now with a ruined Xmas, explaining the situation.

Commencing the New Year, January 2013, I received NO REPLY from Atos to the letter I sent, but I do get a reminder to fill in the ESA50 with only 11 days to it’s deadline. Now I was very angry and agitated so I called Atos to explain that the DWP had gave no such request to Atos to “CHANGE A BENEFIT I WAS IN RECIEPT OF”!

This sent shock waves through the lady I was speaking to, and was told “oh dear we’ll call you back Mr *******”. After about an hour a different woman called me back (with a definitive orwellianic powerful voice) to say. Quote: “we have spoken to the DWP and have got permission now to do your assessment EARLIER than the review date”. After now getting a thrashing of my own, I went into a live coma (I’m still in it).

With only 5 days now to complete such a complicated form I missed out so much information that would have been added and as I have said I end up loosing the assessment. For the record I will say this, at the assessment, the HCP wrote any small point on her pad where I indicated the slightest change for the better in my health, but as I said earlier the HCP wrote nothing to indicate my present illnesses in the descriptors in my favour. Hence I was awarded 0 points!

As I now struggle to get letters and information from new doctors and old friends to help at my Tribunal, please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience. As I write this, I’ll write again to this forum to let you all know how I get on.

Lastly as a help to anyone, I’m personally going to ask the tribunal to subpoena both Atos and the DWP for that request date. (using a rule pointed out in the ‘ESA appeals section’ of this web site I’m going to do it come what may) Regardless that I have done what they asked of me. I have personally sent over 8 requests for that information. I want to show at the tribunal how breaking the law breaks peoples lives

Thanks for listening everyone. Tom

tomzee
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58. Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115403 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hatchet job! Need advice
Tommy

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

To try and answer your questions.

Whilst it is unusual, we do regularly hear of the circumstances that you have posted.

With regard to your appeal, you have two options; to show that you still meet the criteria for the Support Group, or, to show that the assessment was invalid, and that you should still be in the SG as a result of the previous Decision on your claim.

To tackle the latter first, without written evidence I believe you are on very shaky ground, the DWP can re-assess a claimant at any time after three months have elapsed since a previous Decision was made. Unless your issue was escalated to a manager within the DWP, the person you spoke to on the form was likely to be a member of the ESA Call Centre, even if they have access to the information about whether a re-assessment is in progress, they have no authority to tell a claimant that they should not complete an ESA50.

Whilst there was confusion between ATOS and the DWP, the fact that you were told, albeit in the end, that a re-assessment was in progress will count against you. So, unless you can provide compelling evidence that the assessment should not have been carried out, I think it unlikely that the Tribunal panel will wish to spend much time looking in to this aspect further.

In regard your appeal on the basis of you meeting the criteria, if your hearing is at the end of the month then you have a narrow window to provide a submission and any evidence to the Tribunal Service, ideally everything should be with them no later than two weeks before the hearing, you can provide information later than this, but it is not recommended.

You need to show that you met the Support Group criteria when you were re-assessed in January 2013.

Qualifying for the Support Group

You should have a look at our ESA Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

and the following FAQs

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

On the assumption that the ESA50 was issued before 28 January 2013, you should have a look at our ESA Claim guides under the heading 'Old' ESA50 form, decision on or after 28 Jan 2013 or 'Old' ESA50 form, decision before 28 Jan 2013, as applicable. These will allow you to fully understand the relevant ESA criteria.

If you have any questions, then please reply to this post. The forum is about to close, but we are open again to new posts 2-4pm and 8-10pm each weekday.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115428 by tmato2001
Replied by tmato2001 on topic Hatchet job! Need advice
Dear Gordon thanks for your most welcome info, now I need to get off my ass, some of the evidence I will need (concerning important dates) i will have to access from my medical files!! Since learning that my assessment failed one month after my doctor of 5 years left his practice and cannot be found who would have gladly provided all the much needed evidence, i've since had two changes of doctors since may of last year which anyone knows is like loosing a lifelong friend.

Doctors are like family. After constantly chasing up my medical files, with the new doctors (paper ones) two weeks ago they have finally turned up at my new Doctors surgery.

After reading up on some of the other stuff on this brilliant site, concerning medical files, i've learned that it can take up to 40 days after a request has been put in to receive a personal copy of my medical files and will cost up to £50. my letter for the 'appeal to be heard' date was posted to me by the clerk to the court on the 11th Dec 2013.

My case is to be heard in just under 3 weeks time, could you or anyone advise if I should call them (the clerk to the court) and ask to postpone for a later date and explain the reasons given above? or try my luck with only half of the evidence i can provide at this time?

And just for the record it took my case worker at Harrow council environmental dept 'two and a half years' to update their progress for me with one of my illnesses!!!! And even then I had to chase them up for copies of that evidence from June-November 18th 2013. And only got half of it!

Alas once again thank you Gordon for your advice, hope to hear from you or anyone else soon.

Regards Tommy.

tomzee
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115431 by Gordon
Tommy

You should be able to get your medical records a lot quicker than 40 days, this is the maximum period allowed, most requests are serviced far quicker than this. Speak to the Admin Manager at your practice and they should be able to expedite the production of your records, dependant on their facilities it may also possible for you to read your records at the practice and only copy the pages you need, reducing the time and cost.

You can request a postponement, but I think it unlikely that it will be granted, although that should not stop you asking, however, I expect the Tribunal Service to take the view that you have had since March last year, when the appeal was lodged, to collect your evidence and if you have not done so before, then the fault is yours.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115455 by tmato2001
Replied by tmato2001 on topic Hatchet job! Need advice
Once again Gordon thanks for your help. I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning, will keep you notified
I was also thinking they may refuse the postponement due to the time span. but I'll ask anyway no harm in trying.

Another thing I ask is apart from medical evidence, would reference letters help from people who have known me for many years and have seen how my illness affects my health?

many thanks Gordon Regards. Tommy.

tomzee
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115456 by Gordon

Tommy wrote: Once again Gordon thanks for your help. I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning, will keep you notified
I was also thinking they may refuse the postponement due to the time span. but I'll ask anyway no harm in trying.

Another thing I ask is apart from medical evidence, would reference letters help from people who have known me for many years and have seen how my illness affects my health?

many thanks Gordon Regards. Tommy.

Testimonials can be included as evidence, they probably will not stand up on their own but as supporting evidence to the effects that your condition has on you they can be of assistance.

The person producing the letter, needs to include their name and address, how often they see you and in what context e.g. family or professional, finally they need to be signed and include a phrase similar to "to the best of my knowledge this information is correct". Obviously someone who sees you often will have more impact than someone who only sees you infrequently.

Gordon

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.