× Members

DLA, ESA & CA (Carer's Allowance)

• Alex
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115691 by Alex
DLA, ESA & CA (Carer's Allowance) was created by Alex
I am in receipt of DLA (higher rate mobility component) and ESA SG. My husband has mental health issues, so I provide supervision, prompting, encouragement, (watches over) etc him. He is in receipt of Attendance Allowance (higher rate with personal care). Can I claim Carer’s allowance without losing my DLA & ESA SG? My limitation is physical (severe osteoarthritis). I have to plan and organise everything for us both (mostly via phone & Internet), he is helping me what is painful or I am not able to do (e.g. opening jars, lifting kettle, pots, cutting vegetables, etc. )
I’ve heard about ‘the overlapping benefits rule’. I hope this is not a case in our situation.
I am grateful for any clarification.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115695 by
Replied by on topic DLA, ESA & CA (Carer's Allowance)

Alex wrote: I am in receipt of DLA (higher rate mobility component) and ESA SG. My husband has mental health issues, so I provide supervision, prompting, encouragement, (watches over) etc him. He is in receipt of Attendance Allowance (higher rate with personal care). Can I claim Carer’s allowance without losing my DLA & ESA SG? My limitation is physical (severe osteoarthritis). I have to plan and organise everything for us both (mostly via phone & Internet), he is helping me what is painful or I am not able to do (e.g. opening jars, lifting kettle, pots, cutting vegetables, etc. )
I’ve heard about ‘the overlapping benefits rule’. I hope this is not a case in our situation.
I am grateful for any clarification.

Hi A,

If your "caring" duties with regards to your husband where not in direct conflict with the disabilities/limitations that resulted in your DLA HR Mobility and ESA SG awards, then there should not be any adverse affect on these awards.

However, CB ESA and Carers Allowance are unfortunately "overlapping benefits" therefore you cannot receive both.

There may be a scenario where you may be entitled to The Carer Premium, however to be entitled to this, you would have to be entitled to IR ESA as well as CB ESA, as The Carer Premium is paid in the form of an IR ESA top up.

Your first step would be to contact The Carer Unit :

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I believe that you first have to apply for CA, even if you are aware that you are not entitled to it, as above.

Once you have the refusal, you can then inform the Benefits Office that deals with your ESA, and inform them that even though you are not entitled to CA, you believe that you may have an "Underlying Entitlement" and may therefore be entitled to The Carer Premium (CP).

They will then assess you financially with respect to capital, assets, savings and household income to see whether you are entitled to IR ESA and the CP.

If you are entitled to IR ESA, you may also be entitled to other "Premiums" :

ESA Premiums

You should contact The Carer Unit in the first instance, they are generally very helpful.

bro58

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115711 by
Hi A,

As it seems that you are new to B&W, this link may help you find your way around :

Welcome to Benefits and Work

To post further queries, simply hit "Reply Topic" at the bottom of your thread then post your query, which will show up as soon as it is approved.

bro58

• Alex
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago #115713 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic DLA, ESA & CA (Carer's Allowance)
Thank you. I will need to read your explanation again and look at the links you mentioned in replies to my both messages. Maybe I will have further questions. Alex

• Alex
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115736 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic DLA, ESA & CA (Carer's Allowance)
read all through, still not quite clear...
My ESA WRAG stopped in March 2013. I have not received any money from them since. Then I’ve applied for CA in August 2013 and was awarded it. It November 2013 I’ve got a letter of my entitlement for ESA SG. From November 2013 I am in receipt of CA & ESA SG. I would like to have a clear understanding of my situation before I speak to anyone in DWP. I wonder if there are knowledgeable independent advisors who could look with me at my papers in details? I don’t know the benefits well enough to judge whether CA & ESA SG in conflict/’overlapping’ in my case…
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Must be "August 2013" edited to correct.

10 years 3 months ago #115741 by
See Alex's previous topic Re: ESA WRAG to SG :

Here

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.