× Members

ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115754 by Steve Blue
ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION was created by Steve Blue
Hi

My brother is currently placed in the Support Group, but he has an assessment in a couple of days. He is quite anxious about going :S . He suffers with depression and anxiety quite badly and at this point in time is not sure he'll be able to bring himself to attend. He does have a family member who could go with him for support but even so he's still struggling. He's been told that he's allowed to cancel once, but will this count against him?
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115758 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION
I would strongly recommend that he goes with a relative. If he does not intend to go then give as much notice as possible and get a doctors letter to explain why he was unable to attend.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115759 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION
The claimant is only allowed to cancel one appointment. Cancelling this one does not leave any room in case something unexpected happens next time.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago #115760 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION

Bluebear wrote: Hi

My brother is currently placed in the Support Group, but he has an assessment in a couple of days. He is quite anxious about going :S . He suffers with depression and anxiety quite badly and at this point in time is not sure he'll be able to bring himself to attend. He does have a family member who could go with him for support but even so he's still struggling. He's been told that he's allowed to cancel once, but will this count against him?

He should be able to cancel one appointment without fault, however, I would encourage him to attend if his reasons for not doing so are his anxiety and depression, it will not be any easier the next time and the new appointment may not be convenient for someone to attend with him.

A second failure will result in his file being returned to the DWP as a no show and although the DWP should seek his reasons for not attending, it can easily result in his claim being closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago #115766 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION
Cheers. I'll advise him that's it's probably better to attend if he's able so it's done and over with.

Thanks.

10 years 3 months ago #115768 by
Replied by on topic ASSESSMENT CANCELLATION
Hi Bb

This FAQ may be helpful :

ESA Medical – What to expect

Even though his attendance may cause him considerable distress, if this is apparent and obvious to the assessing HCP, it may help him to gain the correct decision.

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.