× Members

DLA Renewal for children

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116185 by brokendown
DLA Renewal for children was created by brokendown
Hi There
In October 2013 I spent almost 4 weeks completing the renewal DLA claim form for my daughter, she is 7 years old and has a chronic condition which has been ongoing for many years and will continue. I completed everything that was asked of me, I included further information etc but as I am her primary carer and work closely with the hospital there are no outside agencies other than GP and Hospital in her care. I with my hubby and family have been doing this for many years and this has never been a problem now the DWP have written to the hospital and are waiting for a response, they wrote tot eh GP who told me off and asked me if I knew what I was doing with regards to the care of my daughter. My concerns are that neither reports will actually give a true assessment of her needs and how DLA helps us, they see her for 15 mins 6 times a year and we live with her. Recently she has been in hospital for surgery and is having a very tough time recovering, she now has to have further biopsies etc and this is not taken into consideration. What should I do I feel lost and her DLA does enhance her quality of lift in many ways? Please can you help me?
Many thanks
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116191 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Renewal for children
brokendown

If your GP has already written back to the hospital; then there is little that you can to interfere in the process. If they have then you should be able to get a copy of the letter as it should be on her practice records.

If they have not replied yet then you could sit down with her GP to find out what their concerns are to invite them to ask questions about her care and mobility needs, you could also provide a short statement of these for their records, you need to be careful not to lead the GP if at all possible as this might count against you.

As an aside, if you have not already done so, you must inform the DWP of any in-patient stays your daughter has had recently.

If you have any more specific questions, please reply to this post and we will do our best to answer them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #117995 by brokendown
Replied by brokendown on topic DLA Renewal for children
Hi Gordon
Many thanks we eventually got the award however a letter prior to the award said that I am now her appointee and they can remove me at any time if they feel I am not looking after my child's interests, I never heard of this before. Can you please advise?
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118025 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Renewal for children

brokendown wrote: Hi Gordon
Many thanks we eventually got the award however a letter prior to the award said that I am now her appointee and they can remove me at any time if they feel I am not looking after my child's interests, I never heard of this before. Can you please advise?

It will be a standard letter so I would not read too much into it but even though you are her appointee the award is paid for the benefit of your daughter so as an extreme example, if you were to spend all of the DLA money on lottery tickets then the DWP have the right to remove you as an appointee, Also, when your daughter reaches 16 then will be an automatic re-assessment of your being an appointee to see whether she is then capable of handling her own affairs.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: brokendown

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.