× Members

Question re tax, private pension and esa

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116188 by brokendown
Question re tax, private pension and esa was created by brokendown
Hi There

I am asking for a little advice, my hubby has been disabled for many years, he lost his job because of his disability, anyway when making applications and completing forms he has always said he is in receipt of a small pension on which he pays tax, Well in November 2013 he got a letter form a compliance officer at DWP to say he had to come in as it had been flagged up that he is in receipt of this pension, there was"concern" that he may have forgotten to mention it... a likely excuse, anyway he has received this for 19 years and he has always the details about it, he even got a letter from his pension office to say that he is in receipt of said pension, we have completed forms so that the DWP can contact them, we have always been open and transparent, So 19 years later they flag him up, even HMRC were shocked as they said that DWP were very much aware of the pension. I had to go along as my hubby was unwell and in hospital the Compliance Officer seemed shocked that he was picked out and wrote a full report with all the information we gave them.I would like to know why after 19 years are they allegedly checking up on something they have known about all along? can you please help? Many thanks
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116192 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Question re tax, private pension and esa
I cannot comment as to why this would have been flagged up now other than an error or a phone call to the fraud line. Often with government bodies the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing so it could have been on one system, so to speak, but not another. I also believe they are tackling overpayments at this time. However, it does not sound like they are likely to take any further action so I would not be too concerned. If they believe you have committed fraud they would have the fraud team interview you and/or ask you to pay monies back. It does not sound like this will be the case but if they do pursue the issue then you should seek legal advice.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116193 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Question re tax, private pension and esa
brokendown

I assume that your husband was receiving IB before being transferred to ESA, it may be that his pension was disregarded in regard to IB or did not exceed the £85/week limit, as a result it may not have been flagged on the DWP system when his claim was moved to ESA.

Of course, it could be for other reasons, but we have seen this happen with other member. providing you have informed them of his pension and still have copies of the forms there should be no issue.

If his pension was disregarded for IB then it should continue to be so in regard to ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: brokendown

More
10 years 1 month ago #118002 by brokendown
Replied by brokendown on topic Question re tax, private pension and esa
Hi Gordon
Many thanks for your help. It was what you said the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Only today did he receive a letter to say that he can continue on ESA Support Group and all is ok. Thank you so much.
Brokendown

More
10 years 1 month ago #118005 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Question re tax, private pension and esa
That is good news, brokendown, thank you for updating us :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.