× Members

Hospital

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116320 by Pipp
Hospital was created by Pipp
Can you advise. I have been in hospital for major surgery. When I notify benefits office of hospital inpatient status is is likely to prompt a reassesment of ESA or DLA?

Currently in support group and higher rate mobility middle rate care DLA.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 3 months ago #116323 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Hospital

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pipp

More
10 years 3 months ago #116324 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hospital

PC wrote: Can you advise. I have been in hospital for major surgery. When I notify benefits office of hospital inpatient status is is likely to prompt a reassesment of ESA or DLA?

Currently in support group and higher rate mobility middle rate care DLA.

To be honest it will depend on the nature of the surgery and what conditions you have, for example a hip replacement might result in the re-assessment of an Mobility award on the basis that the majority of claimants will have improved mobility afterwards, this may also have implications for someone who has qualified for ESA on the Mobility Descriptor

However, in the vast majority of cases the DWP will wait for the claimant to report a Change of Circumstances, as other conditions may mean that although one aspect of claimants condition has improved others may not have.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pipp

More
10 years 3 months ago #116363 by Pipp
Replied by Pipp on topic Hospital
Thank you Jim and Gordon

The surgery will not make a difference to the impairments and their effects that justify support group or DLA status. In fact, I will for at least 6 months, need more care than previously. I was just concerned that by informing DWP that I had been in hospital it could trigger a review of DLA or mean I needed a new assessment for PIP. Not something I could cope with at the moment.

Under the circumstances, it is probably best not to awaken the sleeping beast, so I think my best option is to give the minimum mandatory required details. I.e., dates I was inpatient, and not mention need for extra care.

Many thanks

PC

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.