× Members

Voluntarily surrending DLA & ESA.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116400 by leed46
Voluntarily surrending DLA & ESA. was created by leed46
Hi folks

I’m 8 months into my first contribution-based ESA award (support group), having transferred from IB, and 18 months into my 5 year DLA award (LRM & HRC). Because I reside in social housing, I also receive help with my rent and council tax. I reply upon a 24hr live-in Carer but have no dependents or partner.

Through help provided by my Carer (not Jobcentre Plus), I might now be able to move into a full-time permanent job. With extensive support, I’ve spent a few ½ days unpaid at a local office to see what I might be capable of …and for them to assess what adjustments would be needed to help me undertake meaningful paid employment with them. It’s been very tiring but ultimately a great experience which has rebuilt my confidence. I’m gobsmacked that the firm would tolerate such expense and disruption and make such big allowances to the job role, just to accommodate me (if I were successful in the recruitment process).

If offered a position, I would love to be able to get back into work. I’d be on the same starting salary as those around me ...which means I’ll be £301 (net) worse-off per month by surrendering my all of my benefits. That’s a big hit and I’ve still no idea where I can cut back to make-up such a large shortfall, but the greatest worry is the delay in being paid my first monthly salary and falling into arrears with my rent.

My Carer and I have tried to look into things like working Tax Credits, but because the gross salary is £18k pa, I don’t think I’d qualify. I’ve visited sites such as HMRC, but keep going round in circles. Any suggestions regards any government financial help in transitioning from ESA & DLA into full-time work? I don’t possess any savings, capital or assets. There’s no salary advance, no way I’d qualify for a loan and there’s nothing I can sell to tide me over until payday …I'd still need to eat between coming-off benefits and picking up my first months’ pay-cheque.

I appreciate that some might question the wisdom of wanting to take such a position when the net income (relative to what I currently receive in benefits) is such a big drop.

Kind Regards
Leed46
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116403 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Voluntarily surrending DLA & ESA.
Hi Leed,

I'm afraid I don't know if there is any interim financial help for people in your posistion. However, I can reassure you that DLA can continue to be paid, even if you take up full-time paid employment.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago #116404 by leed46
Replied by leed46 on topic Continuing DLA whilst in paid employment.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.

Was unaware that DLA could still be claimed whilst in paid employment. Had assumed that I would have to alert them that I had managed to find a job (if I was offered the position), that they would then automatically assume an improvement in my condition and hence, my DLA would cease. Will investigate further; could potentially mean I'm slightly better off rather than greatly worse off.

Kind Regards
Leed46

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116405 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Voluntarily surrending DLA & ESA.
leed46

One immediate point, the 1/2 days you have been working are unlikely to count as volunteering, as you are doing work that would normally be paid, this could be risking your current ESA award, whether you are up to being able to work in the longer term or not.

As Mrs H has already posted, DLA is not specifically affected by your working , providing your working is not at odds with your stated Care and Mobility needs, there is no reason why you should not continue to receive the benefit.

As an interim solution, subject to your potential employer being amenable, you can do Permitted Work, this would allow you to work for up to 16 hours and earn around £100 per week as a trial run to your going full time.

Permitted Work

If you do start full time work and close your ESA claim then you can make a re-claim within 12 weeks and link back to your original claim, If you exceed the 12 weeks then you can only make a new claim, which you will need to qualify from scratch for.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

• bro58
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116406 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Voluntarily surrending DLA & ESA.
Hi L46,

As MHB states, DLA is an in-work benefit, and there would only be a problem if your work duties were in direct conflict with the limitations/care needs that qualified you for your DLA awards.

Whilst also paying heed to Gordon's comments, further help may be available through : Access To Work

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116409 by leed46
Replied by leed46 on topic Thank you all.
Thank you all. Great advice, as always. Appreciate you taking the time and trouble to respond. Will explore the links you kindly posted too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.