× Members

PIP

• panaman
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116539 by panaman
PIP was created by panaman
Hi

My partner was transferred to ESA Support Group last year from IB with a 3 year award which your extremely helpful guides helped us with enormously.

He has never claimed DLA in the lengthy period of his illness, some 17 years, mainly due to us believing he wouldn't get it as myself and his mum help him with everything so thought as we would not be employing anyone or incurring expenses he would be rejected.

Having seen your newsletter yesterday I watched the Atos PIP video and then read about PIP on the site and it has started me thinking he has been missing out all these years.

If he was to claim would he have to attend a face to face or have they not started yet? I am a bit confused on this, we live in Southern England which I believe from reading is one of the areas having them. I do not think he could cope with a face to face, we were so relieved when he was transferred to ESA without one.

As he has been awarded 3 years Support Group on mental health grounds and has been ill for more than 17 years does that help with a PIP claim? Should this be mentioned to hopefully fend off any face to face?

Also are there any risks when claiming PIP that may effect his ESA award?

From reading the PIP guide the similarity between ESA and PIP claiming seems very apparent.

Thanks in advance for the help.
P.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116548 by
Replied by on topic PIP

panaman wrote: Hi

My partner was transferred to ESA Support Group last year from IB with a 3 year award which your extremely helpful guides helped us with enormously.

He has never claimed DLA in the lengthy period of his illness, some 17 years, mainly due to us believing he wouldn't get it as myself and his mum help him with everything so thought as we would not be employing anyone or incurring expenses he would be rejected.

Having seen your newsletter yesterday I watched the Atos PIP video and then read about PIP on the site and it has started me thinking he has been missing out all these years.

If he was to claim would he have to attend a face to face or have they not started yet? I am a bit confused on this, we live in Southern England which I believe from reading is one of the areas having them. I do not think he could cope with a face to face, we were so relieved when he was transferred to ESA without one.

As he has been awarded 3 years Support Group on mental health grounds and has been ill for more than 17 years does that help with a PIP claim? Should this be mentioned to hopefully fend off any face to face?

Also are there any risks when claiming PIP that may effect his ESA award?

From reading the PIP guide the similarity between ESA and PIP claiming seems very apparent.

Thanks in advance for the help.
P.

Hi p,

You may indeed have been missing out on DLA that you may have been entitled to.

A claimant did not have to be receiving "Care" to qualify for the Care Component of DLA, the test was whether the "Care" is "Reasonably Required".

As you may know, new claims for DLA can no longer be made, and since June 2013 all new claims have to be for PIP, no matter where you live in the country.

As with ESA, whether a face to face will be needed is down to the paper evidence that they have access to. However, it is likely that a F2F will be needed.

Although ESA and PIP are totally separate benefits, with different qualifying criteria, an SG award should be a good indication of severe disability, so it should help.

ESA and PIP can both be claimed and payed without problems.

May I suggest that you try taking our PIP Self Test :

PIP information, including PIP Self Test

You can access our PIP Claims Guide from the link below :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

There is quite a lot of in formation on PIP in the :

PIP Topic Thread in Spotlight Area

bro58

• panaman
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116553 by panaman
Replied by panaman on topic PIP
Thanks for the reply.

'Meanwhile, Atos have published a Youtube video showing how they claim a PIP medical assessment will be carried out . . . when you eventually get to have one.'

The above was in the newsletter making me think face to face assessments for PIP had not started, or is this referring the transfers from DLA?

Thank you
P.

10 years 3 months ago #116555 by
Replied by on topic PIP

panaman wrote: Thanks for the reply.

'Meanwhile, Atos have published a Youtube video showing how they claim a PIP medical assessment will be carried out . . . when you eventually get to have one.'

The above was in the newsletter making me think face to face assessments for PIP had not started, or is this referring the transfers from DLA?

Thank you
P.

Hi P,

In some parts of the country DLA claimants who have a fixed term award are not being transferred over to PIP at the end of the DLA award, as was initially planned.

All new PIP claims will have to go through the normal PIP assessment procedure, which will probably include a face to face.

bro58

• panaman
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago #116557 by panaman
Replied by panaman on topic PIP
Thank you again, I will have to give this some thought.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.