× Members

Lost appeal! start again?

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116572 by tmato2001
Lost appeal! start again? was created by tmato2001
hi everyone
As I thought I lost my appeal, had I known about this web site i'm sure the result could have been better as my ESA50 was very shoddily filled in not knowing how to answer the questions!. Anyway onward and up, feeling peeved wont help. I understand by reading some of the advice on this site that I can still get ESA at the assessment rate, providing that my illness has worsened since the date of my benefit was stopped till I went to appeal and my doctor will provide sick notes?.

My question is how long do I get this for? as the actual assessment i believe now takes longer than 13 weeks, and will it still be paid once the 13 weeks have passed.

Thanks to all who use this wonderful site, never give up Tom

tomzee
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116578 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Lost appeal! start again?
Tommy

Hopefully it will be this simple but it may not :(

You can make a new claim for ESA after being found Fit for Work, but you will not be paid the ESA Assessment if this is within six months of the Decision that found you FfW, the exceptions to this are that your condition has worsened or you have a new condition, or that you have attended a new face to face assessment as part of this new claim.

So if it is more than six months since the Decision, not the Tribunal, that found you Fit for Work, you can make a new claim without problem and if it is less you will need to meet one of the criteria mentioned above.

However, as this is a new claim you will also need to meet the ESA eligibility criteria, for Contribution Based ESA this will be based on your National Insurance Contributions over the last two full Tax Years, 2011-12 and 2012-2013.

For Income Related ESA it is your household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Assuming you are entitled to the Assessment rate from the outset, then it will be paid until a Decision is made on your claim even if this exceeds the 13 weeks, if successful, then you will receive backdated money from the beginning of week 14 of your claim for whichever group you are placed in.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116614 by tmato2001
Replied by tmato2001 on topic Lost appeal! start again?
Thank you Gordon for that advice.

I really appreciate your help, as far as I can see I should have few problems, I called the DWP office on Tuesday 28th to reclaim, they told me that a new form would be sent out to me, it hasn't arrived yet, is this normal? usually when one requests something from the DWP and they tell you "it's will be sent out to you", it usually arrives within 2 days.

One thing that bothers me with these tribunal decisions is, can the DWP stop me from making a claim? although my illness has definitely got worse, IE, can a tribunal influence a decision to the DWP?

And also this dilemma of how these medical exams are done? For instance I read in both my ESA85s and in the DWP rulebook for ATOS examiners under their guide in section 3:

Training & Development

Revised WCA Handbook ESA (Amendment) Regulations 2011 and 2012)

3.1.4 Examining the Claimant
Information about appropriate clinical examination will be found in section 3.3,
examination of the musculoskeletal system as well as in the individual sections
dealing with functional categories.

NOTE THIS EVERYONE: 'You should seek and document the claimant's express permission before proceeding to carry out any physical examination that you deem to be necessary. It is vitally
important that all HCPs understand that they must not assume consent'.

this was not done on both assessments the assessor just said "can you stand up please" on both assessments every movement I made was painful and (in my opinion) excessive and the assessors witnessed this but was not in the report: I pointed this out in my last statement to the tribunal, telling them: "had i been made aware of this 'law' I would have refused to do any physical movements on the grounds that finding just one movement very painful is sufficient to refuse further examination". they wrote what I said but made no comment.

ok i'll leave it at that for now thanks again Gordon. Tom.

tomzee
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 months ago #116623 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Lost appeal! start again?
Tom

If you are chasing an ESA1 so that you can make a new claim for ESA then there is one online

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...file/270934/esa1.pdf

You need to download it to your PC to use it.

The reason 3.1.4. is included in the WCA Handbook is in regard to the HCP being accused of "assault", however, I would say that by attending the assessment the claimant is implicitly agreeing to their being examined. To be clear, it is not a "law".

Claimants are entitled to refuse to carry out any action that would result in their experiencing significant discomfort, they should make it absolutely clear to the HCP that this is their only reason for refusing to carry out the action. This is one of the reasons that we always advise claimants to attend an assessment with a friend or partner, who can confirm this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago #116654 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Lost appeal! start again?
Asking the claimant to perform certain actions would not be classed as an 'examination' in this case, the guide is specifically referring to occasions when the HCP has to physically touch the claimant in order to carry out an examination - failure to obtain consent beforehand might be classed as assault. However, as Gordon says, it could be argued that the claimant has given consent by turning up for the appointment. The handbook refers to 'best practice' rather than law.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris