× Members

Permitted work

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116868 by carmind
Permitted work was created by carmind
I thought that the earnings figures for permitted work (£20 lower, £95 higher) were earnings allowed before any benefit reductions and that any earnings over these figures would result in £1 benefit reduction for every extra £1 earned.
However, at a recent tribunal I was told that these figures are absolute ceilings and if you earn more,then you cannot be on permitted work at all.
Is this correct?
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116871 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Permitted work

carmind wrote: I thought that the earnings figures for permitted work (£20 lower, £95 higher) were earnings allowed before any benefit reductions and that any earnings over these figures would result in £1 benefit reduction for every extra £1 earned.
However, at a recent tribunal I was told that these figures are absolute ceilings and if you earn more,then you cannot be on permitted work at all.
Is this correct?

Whilst it is possible for PW income to be averaged over a period if there is natural variation on the income, even when this does happen the limits ar still an absolute value in terms of both earnings and hours worked.

To be clear, there is no deduction from benefits if the limits are exceeded.

If a claimant exceeds the limits then the likely result is that they will be treated as being in remunerative work and therefore risk having their ESA claim being closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: carmind

• bro58
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #116872 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Permitted work
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris