× Members

Prescriptions

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117016 by almostfree
Prescriptions was created by almostfree
Can anyone tell me if I have to pay for my NHS prescriptions while I am waiting for my ESA appeal with the HM Tribunal service to be heard.

I suffer from bouts of severe depression and take anti-depressants to control it.

I recently read an article suggesting that someone with mental health issues can get free prescriptions if their condition could give rise to health and safety issues, for either themselves or others, if the medication were to stop. However, I did not really understand the article, hence my question.

Many thanks
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117020 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Prescriptions
Hi af,

I worked for the NHS for many years and have never heard of people being awarded free prescriptions for the reason you have mentioned. Your GP would be the best person to ask about this.

A claimant on income-related ESA, whatever the stage of the claim, is automatically entitled to free prescriptions. This automatic entitlement does not apply to those on contributory benefits, such people might be entitled on the grounds of low income, an HC1 form would need to be filled out to ascertain whether this was the case.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta. Reason: tick
More
10 years 3 months ago #117022 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Prescriptions
almostfree

You can also buy a pre payment certificate

www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta
More
10 years 3 months ago #117027 by carmind
Replied by carmind on topic Prescriptions
Or move to Wales, where all prerscriptions are free!
  • Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117029 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Prescriptions

almostfree wrote: Can anyone tell me if I have to pay for my NHS prescriptions while I am waiting for my ESA appeal with the HM Tribunal service to be heard.

I suffer from bouts of severe depression and take anti-depressants to control it.

I recently read an article suggesting that someone with mental health issues can get free prescriptions if their condition could give rise to health and safety issues, for either themselves or others, if the medication were to stop. However, I did not really understand the article, hence my question.

Many thanks

The criteria for free NHS prescriptions is on NHS Choices

A little advertised way of getting free prescriptions is if you are unable to leave home without help from another person. See Help with Health Costs

Also, as NHS prescription costs are not within the remit of moderators, I am locking this post.

Your GP's surgery can provide details of NHS prescription costs if you phone them.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added comment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.