× Members

compliance

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117047 by colleen
compliance was created by colleen
:angry: :unsure: :(

Hoping someone can offer advice. Someone has made a accusation to concentrate plus that I was cohabiting with my friend. We are very good friends and do have a intimate relationship. However he does not give me money, I pay all my own bills etc. Apparently the accusation is that we go shopping together and socialize? I had no idea that because I receive WAS and DLA that meant I was not allowed to have a relationship. Also I have just moved 5 days ago into a new house that he has invested in. He lives with his mother and pays the majority of the bills there as well as supporting her. He has invested in my house for financial reasons at this time. We are both hoping to make a profit in the future. We did this through our solicitors and have a deed of trust outlining each of our individual investments. Today we are told that he can only spend two nights a week with me or my benefits will be stopped because in their view he should support me. Is this true? I am thinking this is discriminatory as I cannot work (I am in support group) but genuinely He does not support me and never ha. Help please if anyone can.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #117048 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic compliance
Hi Colleen,

I'm afraid that this is not a straight forward issue and the '2 day rule' is not absolute. For example, a lodger could stay with you 7 days a week but still not be viewed as a partner whereas someone could live elsewhere for much of the time and still be deemed a partner by DWP.

The fact that your friend has never supported you financially might or might not go in your favour. DWP expects partners to support each other finanacially.

I think you should really try and get some face2face advice about this. CAB would be a good place to start.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117049 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic compliance
Hi C,

As stated by MHB, this is quite a complicated area of benefits law.

With regards to co-habitation, the test is generally where your partner's usual place of residence is.

I am assuming that you are in receipt of Income Related (IR) benefits, your DLA should not come into it, as it is non means tested.

For IR ESA in particular, there is a 24 hour working rule with regards to your partner :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

&

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

Even if your partner was not working the maximum permissible 24 hours/week, if he was classed as co-habitating his income would be counted £ for £ with regards to any IR benefits that you may be entitled to.

So the crux of the matter is whether or not the DWP deem you to be co-habitating or not.

Where to get advice?

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117050 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic compliance
:woohoo: LODGERS

Sorry to chip in here but can you, therefore, rent a room to a lodger and it NOT be taken into account re: ESA©?

Cheers

P.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 3 months ago #117051 by bro58

petrocelli wrote: :woohoo: LODGERS

Sorry to chip in here but can you, therefore, rent a room to a lodger and it NOT be taken into account re: ESA©?

Cheers

P.

Hi p,

See : www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

bro58

• bro58
10 years 3 months ago #117053 by bro58

bro58 wrote:

petrocelli wrote: :woohoo: LODGERS

Cheers

P.

Hi p,

See : www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

bro58

See also : www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/lodger...-tax/6522846.article

There is a lot of information available on the internet regarding this.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.