× Members

DLA gave wrong advice for child renewal/adult app

• Carrera74
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117103 by Carrera74
My son is 16 years old and has a diagnosis of ASD. We claimed DLA for him for the first time in September 2012 and he was awarded HRC and LRM from January 2013 for 12 months. We received a DLA adult / first renewal for him and the deadline for sending this back to the DLA was January 2014. I contacted their helpline in December as I had the pack ready to go but was missing the part ‘someone who knows you’. As I am his appointee I had asked school to fill this part in. School were closed and I was conscious that the deadline was looming so I rang the helpline and asked if I should send the pack without that part or to wait until it was complete. I was advised to send it all together so that nothing got lost and it was all actioned at the same time. I was also advised to put a note with the renewal form explaining why the delay if it went over the cut-off date. I was also told that if it was a few days over that would be fine. This is what I did.

Last week I received an application form for PIP which alarmed me as I had only sent the completed application for adult DLA three weeks previously. I contacted the DLA helpline to query why I had received this only to be told that the renewal had been received a few days after the deadline therefore the application was not accepted and my son’s claim had been closed and I would have to apply for PIP as a new claimant. I explained what I had been advised previously and they said I had been given wrong information and to contact the PIP helpline to see if they had received my copies of reports etc as the claim was now with them!

I had spent so much time and effort on the forms only to be told that they were not going to even be looked at and his case had been closed. I had only done exactly what I was advised to do by their helpline. When I spoke to the helpline I had the pack in front of me. I had the form filled out, the reports copied and the 14 A4 pages of additional information written out too. It had all been a waste of valuable time and effort! I was fuming.

I then contacted the PIP helpline and they confirmed that I need to fill in the application form as a new claimant and to send it asap as my son is no longer in receipt of DLA and will not receive any benefit now until his PIP claim is received and processed which could take months as if he needs a consultation there is a waiting list for up to four months.

I have complained directly to the DLA and have requested that my son’s DLA application is processed as it would have been if they had received it in time and that he should be transferred to the PIP scheme in line with other DLA claimants in my area. I have read briefly that those of my son’s age and in our area would eventually be invited to apply for PIP but still get their benefits to prevent any gaps in entitlement. Seems my son is being penalised through no fault of ours, just the belief we were getting the correct advice.

Can anyone advise if I am best just applying for PIP and letting this go? I am mad because I was given wrong information and because of this his claim was closed and he has lost at least 7 weeks of his DLA, assuming he would have been entitled to it again. I don’t know what to do for the best – kick up a fuss about their mistake or just get on with it.

It could be that I can't do anything but I feel a bit better letting off steam on here :)
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #117125 by Gordon
Carrera74

I am sorry to hear you are in this mess.

Unfortunately, and I saying this for anybody reading this post as much as for you, when you speak to the DWP over the phone there is an assumption that the person you are talking to has authority, THEY DO NOT, only a Decision Maker has authority to act and it is very rare to talk to them and you certainly won't be by phoning one of the DWP call centres.

As to your problems, I am afraid you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

In regard the DLA, your best bet is to raise a Subject Access Request for a copy of the phone recording where you were told to send the forms back late, there is a guide to doing this on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claim...eneral-benefits-info

The DWP may accept this as reason to process the DLA claim, but they may also take the view that this is not Good Cause or that the legislation does not allows them any flexibility and you will have to take it to an appeal, this could take many months. You will not receive any payment while doing this.

If you complete and return the PIP forms, then the I have to tell you that whatever happens in regard to his DLA claim forms, he will not receive a DLA award as he will be committed to claiming PIP and PIP only, as once a PIP claim is initiated there is no way to retain any DLA award.

In fact it may already be too late, we are trying to qualify when a PIP claim is legally initiated, it is possible that in sending you the PIP forms the DWP have initiated this process, but I cannot state this for certain. To complicate the matter even further, there will be requirement for you to return these PIP forms within four weeks, a failure to do so means that the claim will be closed and you will have to start again from scratch with further loss of benefit.

If you can, try and get face to face advice from a trained advisor, they often have access to the DWP through routes that the public will never have and may be able to tell what the likelihood of success with his DLA claim will be far faster than you will be able to using the normal channels. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrera74

• Carrera74
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago #117138 by Carrera74
Thanks for responding Gordon.

I have the date and time on my mobile when I rang the helpline but I don't think I gave them any of my son's details so I don't think it will be traceable. A lesson learned that's for sure!

Looks like I need to find some time to complete the PIP form :S

More
10 years 3 months ago #117139 by Gordon

Carrera74 wrote: Thanks for responding Gordon.

I have the date and time on my mobile when I rang the helpline but I don't think I gave them any of my son's details so I don't think it will be traceable. A lesson learned that's for sure!

Our PIP claim guide is on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Whilst there are some similarities there are also many differences between the two benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrera74

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117141 by

Carrera74 wrote: Thanks for responding Gordon.

Hi C74,

Sometimes phone calls to The DWP are recorded.

Therefore, as advised by Gordon, it may well be worthwhile making a SAR for the recording of the phone call, especially if you have the date and time.

You have nothing to lose by issuing the SAR.

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

• Carrera74
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #118773 by Carrera74
I have received a response this morning to my complaint. If I wasn’t wound up before, I am now! They have acknowledged that they had given incorrect information and as an apology would like to compensate us £50 and then went on to tell me that my son’s PIP application is going through the system and is currently with ATOS and I should hear from them in the next 16-18 weeks for an assessment! If the assessment is done in 16 weeks that will make a total of 24 weeks without any benefit, not including the extra time it will take for a decision after the assessment is completed. I know they will backdate the PIP if he gets it but what is he supposed to do in the meantime? At least six months of no benefits. He lives at home with us luckily but what about those who don’t have the bank of Mum or rather Mum’s credit card to fall back on?!

I’m livid that the DLA have acknowledged their error but have no intention of doing anything about it except offer us £50 for the ‘inconvenience’. I had asked them to reinstate his DLA until the PIP had been assessed – as per what other 16 years old in my area are doing but they didn’t answer that query in their response. I knew it was too much to ask but the fact they have acknowledged their error and they have ignored my request to reinstate his DLA at least up to the date they received his PIP form has wound me up. It’s like they think £50 will make everything all better.

RANT over!
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.