× Members

Help regarding ESA Please

• Mason
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117145 by Mason
Help regarding ESA Please was created by Mason
Hi Peeps

My husband works 40 hours a week and I have been a stay home mum!

So when I made my esa claim they told me I was not entitled for either side of the esa as I have not paid enough NI and my hubby works over 40 hours

But said to carry on with the claim and if i'm on support group that will not mater is this correct please?

Thanks in advance
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117148 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Help regarding ESA Please

pepper wrote: Hi Peeps

My husband works 40 hours a week and I have been a stay home mum!

So when I made my esa claim they told me I was not entitled for either side of the esa as I have not paid enough NI and my hubby works over 40 hours

But said to carry on with the claim and if i'm on support group that will not mater is this correct please?

Thanks in advance

Hi P,

What group you may be placed into, (WRAG or SG) and whether you are entitled to Income Related (IR) ESA or Contribution Based (CB) ESA are totally different issues.

The current Benefit Year is 2014, therefore the relevant years for NI Contribution/Credits are 2011/12 and 2012/13.

If you haven't worked and gained the requisite number of NI Contribution from employment in those years, you will not be entitled to CB ESA. (In any group WRAG or SG)

As entitlement and payment of IR ESA is bound by passing a means test with respect to capital, savings, assets, household income, and hours worked by a partner, as your partner works more than 24 hours/week, it looks very much that you will not be entitled to IR ESA either :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Under the assumption that you are not currently in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, IS or SDA, and this is a totally fresh claim for ESA, it looks like you have been misinformed.

If you still have any doubts, you may wish to seek face to face advice.

Where to get advice

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.