× Members

Esa Medical Assessment

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #117164 by Lynx
Esa Medical Assessment was created by Lynx
I am receiving contribution based ESA and have Medical Assessment tomorrow and any help would be more than welcome

I have oseto arthritis in thumbs, wrists, spine and knees and currently on the waiting list for bi lateral thumb surgery (one at a time!) surgeon has stated that both joints are disintegrated so surgery will be for pain relief only - to be honest can't wait as that should alleviate pain in one area at least.

I'm very anxious and don't know what to expect?

Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #117165 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa Medical Assessment
Lynx

The first thing to be aware of that this is not a medical assessment in the traditional way, there may be a physical examination but it will not be extensive, usually it only tests basic joint movement.

The interview will be controlled by a computer programme so the assessor will ask you a question and then spend some time transferring your reply into a computer.

Finally, whilst not impossible, it is unlikely that you will be asked in depth questions about your health conditions and how they affect you, most questioning is indirect in the sense that they will infer your capabilities from your ability to carry out what most would consider to be routine tasks, so as an example; do you watch the television, a straight yes answer will suggest that you can sit for long periods, that you have good concentration and that you are unlikely to have problems with your sight or hearing; can you make a hot drink, you have no problems picking up heavy object (a kettle) but can also manipulate small ones (a spoon), you are aware of dangers (burning yourself) and can complete a relatively complex task to order.

Have a look at the following FAQ it has links to the most frequently asked questions

ESA Medical – What to expect

My best advice, make sure you understand the question before answering it and if appropriate, answer in the negative first; "no I can't watch the television unless I am lying on the floor on my back due to the problems I have with my spine", "I can't pick up a kettle, I have a special adapter that lifts the kettle for me and pours the water, my wife pre-fills cups for me before she goes to work.", I'm sure you get the idea.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.