× Members

CBESA & severe disability premium

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117312 by sue43
CBESA & severe disability premium was created by sue43
I have had an updated ESA letter today which shows a payment for SDP because of the PIP I was recently awarded at the enhanced rate.
I have an ill health pension so I am only entitled to contribution based ESA. The SDP has been completely wiped out by their calculation and I do not get a penny of it, so can't understand why I was awarded it if I wasn't allowed any more than the basic rate CBESA.

I have always been confused by CBESA but now am even more so? Can anyone shine any light?

Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117318 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic CBESA & severe disability premium

sue43 wrote: I have had an updated ESA letter today which shows a payment for SDP because of the PIP I was recently awarded at the enhanced rate.
I have an ill health pension so I am only entitled to contribution based ESA. The SDP has been completely wiped out by their calculation and I do not get a penny of it, so can't understand why I was awarded it if I wasn't allowed any more than the basic rate CBESA.

I have always been confused by CBESA but now am even more so? Can anyone shine any light?

Thanks

Hi s43,

Being entitled to a "premium" and actually receiving payment are different issues.

Being entitled to a "premium" means that the government judge that you need more income due to your disabilities.

This results in a minimum disability income guarantee, which then gives a figure (higher than the norm) for a total household income that you should not fall below.

As "premiums" can only be payed in the form of Income Related (IR) top-ups, you will be financially assessed to see whether you fall below the minimum disability income guarantee for your personal circumstances.

Any CB ESA will be classed as household income for this purpose, as will be any Occupational/Ill Health Pension payments.

Any income from DLA or PIP is not classed as household income for the IR ESA means test.

So basically they will add up all your household income, take that away from what they deem as the minimum income for your personal circumstances.

If there is a shortfall, this will result in all or part of any "premium" being paid in the form of an IR ESA top up, to make up that shortfall.

If when you are financially assessed you are not entitled to any IR ESA, then you cannot receive any or all of a "premium" even though you may have an entitlement to it.

So in some circumstances, it is possible to receive CB ESA with IR ESA top-ups, just as some claimant's are/were entitled to Incapacity Benefit (IB) (which is contribution based) with an Income Support (IS) top-up.

With respect to entitlement to IR ESA, see also :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.