× Members

Claim PIP now, or wait until 3 months have lapsed?

• Rockman
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago #117531 by Rockman
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice re making an initial claim for PIP.

Is it possible to make a claim from day one of sickness/disability? I've read there's a 3 month 'qualifying period' (where I won't get paid until this time has lapsed), and you need to convince them that you will be ill for at least 9 months.

My main concern is the long wait (usually several months) involved, as well as possible appeals. So I'm thinking of putting in a claim now and, hopefully, by the time it's sorted out, won't have to wait so long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117532 by Puccalove
You are correct in thinking you have to have been ill for three months. They ask you how long you have had your condition for and if it is less than 3 months they will refuse your claim.

• Rockman
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago #117571 by Rockman
Thank you for clearing that up. The only exception to this 'qualifying period' is if you have a terminal illness (less that 6 mths).

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.