× Members

Appeal on Thursday, need some advice

• Lily Rose
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117650 by Lily Rose
Appeal on Thursday, need some advice was created by Lily Rose
I've followed the tips on BenefitsAndWork but if anyone has any further general advice in how to behave at a tribunal I'd be very grateful. It's my first time attending one and I'm hoping to be moved from the WRAG to the Support Group. I have a long history of mental illness (mainly severe anxiety and depression to the point of being agoraphobic) and some good evidence from my GP and psychotherapist but if there's anything I can say that might also help I'd like some suggestions.

I'm absolutely in bits at having to go through this. My main worry is because I'm well spoken and dress smartly when I do leave the house, it would be easy for the panel to overlook how ill I am. Whatever the outcome I just want this horrendous, cruel experience to be over.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117653 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal on Thursday, need some advice
LR

The most important thing is to understand the qualifying criteria for the Support Group, so have a good look at the write-ups for the Descriptors that you think you meet in the ESA Claim guides.

The panel will ask you questions about your conditions and how they affect you on a day to day basis, the questions will not be as obtuse as those in the ATOS assessment, but you may still need to take a minute to make sure what they are asking about, you want to try and explain what limitation you have, what it is caused by and how much/often you are affected by it.

Appearance should not be important unless your ability to look after yourself is something that you have mentioned on the form as being a problem, even if it is, just make sure you explain why you are well presented on the day and why it is an exception.

There will be two members on the panel, a "Judge" and a doctor, you should expect most of the questioning to be done by the doctor.

They should allow you a short period at the end of the Tribunal to make a statement, if you are not confident with speaking then it might help to write down what you would like to say and then read it out, that way you won't miss anything that you feel is important.

Best of luck.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lily Rose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.