× Members

Case Law

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117672 by IanO
Replied by IanO on topic Case Law
Thanks for your help.

Should i do a submission myself and do i argue the points the DWP have made to make their decision and if so do i go into detail or should i argue my points on the day of the tribunal.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117675 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Case Law

Coolio wrote: Thanks for your help.

Should i do a submission myself and do i argue the points the DWP have made to make their decision and if so do i go into detail or should i argue my points on the day of the tribunal.

If your hearing is next week then you have left it very late to provide a submission, the Tribunal will not usually be able to circulate copies of it in time for the hearing if the content is submitted less than seven days before the hearing. It is possible to make a submission on the day, but the maximum allowed will be one side of A4.

In ideal circumstances you want your submission to primarily explain why your wife meets the criteria for DLA Care and/or Mobility, as a secondary function, explain why you disagree with the Decision Maker and highlight any errors or discrepancies that appear in the assessors report, lastly, if your wife's conditions are rare or often confused with other ones, include some reference material, but keep it short, they won't be impressed by a 30 page list of symptoms :)

Decisions are made primarily on what the claimant says on the day, you should be aware that questions will be directed to your wife, not you, unless she has an identified problem with speaking or is not aware of her problems, you will be allowed to talk on her behalf, but it would not be unusual for the Judge to ask a companion to restrain their input.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: IanO

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 2 months ago #117693 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Case Law
Totally agree with Gordon's advice. Any submission should have been made at least two weeks ago.

If you summit a long decision now, there's a strong possibility that the Tribunal would adjourn to give them time to read it.

Again, as Gordon advises, limit you submission to one A4 page.

A Tribunal's role is an inquisitorial function, so be prepared to answer any questions they put to you.

If you have an unexperienced representative, then that could be in your favour since a Tribunal's other role is an enabling one, i.e. they have to enable you to put forward the best case possible.

God luck.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: IanO

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117708 by IanO
Replied by IanO on topic Case Law
Thanks for your advice Jim

We sent the form to the tribunal to confirm that we wanted the hearing to proceed expecting to hear from them in 7 to 11 weeks(Turn around) to tell us when the hearing will be which is what it said on the letter. However we were given the date a week later and so we asked for more time so that we could get a representative for the hearing and obtain more advice. This was two weeks ago. They turned down our application to postpone it. Unfortunately they don't have any experienced representatives at the CAB in Conwy and I could.t find anyone who had the time to write the submission. Would it be possible to send a copy of the submission I am writing to you to see if it words right?
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117713 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Case Law

Coolio wrote: Would it be possible to send a copy of the submission I am writing to you to see if it words right?

I am afraid not, even if we had the facilities to do this, which we do not, the submission in isolation from anything else in connection with your wife's claim would be meaningless.

The Tribunal are experienced in dealing with these documents and even before the changes to Legal Aid, the majority of claimants were unrepresented, so I would not worry to much, you know your wife's problems better than anyone except her.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 2 months ago #117720 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Case Law
Regretfully, we don't have a personal message service and as I'm now 73 years of age, I'm afraid I can only give answers in the forum. My own health problems have stopped me from taking on any casework be it paid or 'pro bono' work relating to DLA or PIP.

The only work I'm able to do now is as a moderator for B & W. All moderators have chronic health or disability themselves, and work as volunteers.

It's still possible that when the Tribunal convene on the day of the hearing that they could adjourn the proceedings. The difference between a postponement and an adjournment is as below (taken from my guide GOOD PRACTICE GUIDANCE FOR THOSE WHO APPEAR BEFORE APPEAL TRIBUNALS) the link which I sent you.

6. Applications for postponement

Where it becomes apparent that the client will not be in a position to proceed on the scheduled hearing date, by reason of illness, unavailability of essential evidence or other good cause, an application may be made to the clerk to the tribunal for a postponement. The application has to be in writing. It should explain the circumstances and, if possible, give an indication when the client might be ready to proceed, so that a new date can be fixed. Where the application is based on illness, it would be helpful to provide details of its nature and restricting effects, so that alternative arrangements might be considered.

Having lodged an application for a postponement, the representative should await confirmation that it has been granted before advising the client that there is no need to attend. For it is possible that the application might be refused and the tribunal might decide to proceed with the hearing on the set date in the client’s absence.

7. Applications for adjournment

An application for a postponement is made to the clerk before the day scheduled for the hearing. An application for an adjournment is made to the tribunal on the day of the hearing. Adjourning delays not only the case in question but also other cases that could have been heard earlier. Representatives should only request adjournments in exceptional circumstances. Tribunals will only grant an adjournment, or adjourn of their own motion, where they are satisfied that the interests of justice so demand.

As in the case of postponements, representatives should not assume that an application for an adjournment will be granted and should be prepared for the tribunal to decide to proceed to deal with the appeal on the day. Where the tribunal does adjourn, it will want to give directions to move the case forward by, for example, identifying further evidence needed and setting a new hearing date. Representatives should be prepared to assist in settling those arrangements.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.