× Members

Medical letters

• Marie22
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117723 by Marie22
Medical letters was created by Marie22
Hi

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am a little concerned about it. I am in the midst of filling in my ESA Renewal form (currently in the support group). I know my Consultant doesn't do reports for DWP unless required by them. As I was completely bed ridden for a number of months my OT & Physio appointments were rearranged for next month (I saw them once recently to discuss what treatment etc we would be doing) so I don't actually have the names of any particular person yet.
I went to see my GP last week to keep him up-to-date with my position. My Consultant has applied (& has assured me he will get) funding for biological drugs which I will be starting in a number of weeks. My GP was so enraged he just threw my Consultants letter (informing him of this) on his desk saying to me - more NHS money gone !
I've been really down about this since. What happens when I send in my, very detailed, form but no letter from my GP (I dare not ask him) Will they just write to him on their own accord ? His attitude has really thrown me & I'm struggling to keep the motivation to finish this, very difficult, form.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117729 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Medical letters
Marie22

ATOS on behalf of the DWP may write to your GP, but from published statistics we know that they only do this in about 25% of cases, even worse, only about a 1/4 of these requests are responded to by the GP, even though they have a legal obligation to do so. So I wold not rely on this to happen.

What you can do is request access to your medical records, this can be done at your GP Practice and any Hospital that you attend. It is standard practice for Consultants and Therapists to write your GP after every appointment and most claimants find a wealth of information in these records. Have a look at the following which explain the process.

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

You should not delay the return of your ESA50 in order to access this information, it is really important that is returned by the required date, you can send further information at any time prior to the Decision being made on your claim.

Given the current delays you will have many months between submitting the ESA50 and an assessment being made and I would send a copy of an additional evidence to ATOS, the DWP Decision Maker, at the addresses on the letters you will have from these organisations and you should consider taking a copy to any face to face assessment you might have.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marie22

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.