× Members

DLA to PIPs

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #117928 by Iris7505
DLA to PIPs was created by Iris7505
:(
My eldest son has learning difficulties and mental health problems but he just seems to disappear off the radar when it comes to him being considered for help. Classifying him has been so difficult, a psychiatrist once told him he slips in between the criteria for mental health, so he cannot get any support. On the other hand he does not want to be classified as anything other than a normal person and it is just recently that this need of him not to be discriminated against has turned against him regarding the shift from DLA to PIP. The crux of the matter is he refuses to fill in the form and state that he went to a special school, spent 3 months at a psychiatric and was once assessed for a kind of care in the community. He has also lived at Carr Gom. My problem is that I feel all alone in this and feel sick that the small amount of money he received from DLA will be taken off him. The money just makes his life bearable but i am afraid if he loses his low rate DLA his life with be changed irrecoverably. I if anyone had any advice? I have so many questions I can't fit here.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #117932 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic DLA to PIPs
You are right in your belief that adding those bits of information will help his claim. Leaving out vital details like this may well be to his detriment. However how to persuade him of this I cannot say. Perhaps other member will have suggestions. But for what its worth you can tell him that as an experienced welfare rights worker not filling in his form with sufficient detail may be disadvantageous to him financially.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Puccalove.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.