× Members

Petition to scrap PIP (amended 4/3/2014)

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #118068 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Petition to scrap PIP (amended 4/3/2014) was created by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

Hi All,

I recently submitted an e- petition to Downing Street to scrap PIP based on all the negative information received. Initially it was refused, but I have just received an e-mail early this evening to say it had now been approved.

The e-petition has now been approved. The petition reads :

PIP should scrapped !

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

Taking into consideration all recently released information on PIP, is there not a good case to abandon PIP and keep DLA with some modifications.

Now the National Audit Office has announced that :
Delays in processing claims under the new Personal Independence Payment have reduced the amount the Government expected to save by £140 million, the National Audit Office said.

The backlog in cases have cut expected savings over the course of this Parliament, with the DWP now forecast to save £640 million a year by 2015, rather than its orginial prediction of £780 million.

Each new PIP claim - worth between £21 and £134 a week to disabled claimants - costs an average £182 to administer, compared to £49 under DLA, the report said.

In my opinion as a retired Welfare Rights Lawyer, PIP should now be scrapped and DLA kept with some modifications. I ask you to sign my petition to the Government to cancel PIP.

I ask members to sign my petition at this link: epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/61694 I also respectfully ask that you pass it to relatives, friends and other welfare rights organisations you feel would support my petition. If you are reluctant to ask other welfare rights organisations,
then please e-mail their contact details to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will contact them in my name. Please note I cannot accept e-mails about benefits advice to this e-mail address, it is specifically for the PIP petition.

As this is not a discussion form, I am locking this thread. However, members wishing to post responses can do so in the News section.

Please note we need at least 100,000 signatories for this to qualify for a Parliamentary Discussion

Addendum: : Please be assured that signing the petition will not show your name, just the total number of signatories

Many thanks,

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added addendum for clarity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billy, masterslip, chrissy v, Pipp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago #118083 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Petition to scrap PIP (amended 4/3/2014)
Thanks to all, have now reached over 100 signatories in less than a day.

Keep it up :)

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #118106 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Petition to scrap PIP (amended 4/3/2014)
Now up to over 200 as at 4.30 pm. However, in order to reach the 100,000 required signatories, we need around 275 each day before the petition expires on 3 March 2015.

Nevertheless thank you all for signing. Also, please note my addendum :

Please be assured that signing the petition will not show your name, just the total number of signatories .

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).

• Topic Author
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118715 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Hi All,

The total number of signatories for the e-petition has now reached 1,400.

Thank you to all who have signed it and passed it on to others.

However, to secure a debate in Parliament we need at least 100,000 signatories. That means roughly 285 new signatories each day between now and 3 March 2015 when the petition closes.

Please if you haven't done so already, please sign the petition, and pass it on to family, friends or to any organisation you belong to.

Please note, if you sign the e-petion your name will not appear on the Downing Street website, only the actual number of signatories to date.

Many thanks.

Jim

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Updated.

• Topic Author
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118995 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Just a brief update on my e-petition which now has reached 1,680 signatories. On current daily averages, I don't think we have a hope in hell of reaching the 100,000 signatories necessary for a Parliamentary Debate.

However, today the Work and Pensions Select Committee has called on ministers to abandon plans to roll out PIP - which is gradually replacing working-age disability living allowance - until they had dealt with the backlog of claims, and reduced the average time taken to process new claims to the expected 74 days.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) must act urgently to deal with the "dire situation" and "unacceptable" delays facing claimants of the government's new disability benefit, according to the Committee.

It also called for DWP to devote "all necessary resources" to meeting the seven-day target for dealing with PIP claims from people with terminal illnesses.

More on this in News at: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2690-urge...eeded-on-pip-say-mps

Could this be the breakthrough we've been hoping for ??

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Updated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pipp

• Topic Author
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119272 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Still less than 1,800 signatories to date, so no doubt PIP will go ahead. Over 2 million currently on DLA, but although most members and organisations are against the change, for whatever reason are reluctant to sign the petition, despite assurances that their name will not appear on the Downing Street website, only the cumulative number signing the petition.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.