× Members

ESA - question regarding most recently dated evide

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118213 by twinkerzzz
Hi

Atos appear to be holding on to my claim.
The ESA was sent in Sept 2013 with fresh evidence.
Further evidence was supplied in December 2013 which should have secured a pass-on to the decision maker and an award for 12 months as has previously been the case.

I am concerned that Atos will call me for a medical nowish (6 months on from Sept. 2013) to generate evidence which then becomes the "most recently dated evidence".

My concern is that i understand that the decision maker will make a final decision based on the "most recently dated evidence". Am i wrong in thinking this ? Will the decision maker have to assess all evidence aquired during the time the ESA is processed or will they take into account dates and favour evidence which is most recent ?

I feel Atos is stretching the time frame for processing the ESA to possibly undermine my submitted evidence by staggering to a significant degree when they create their own evidence which then undermines my submitted evidence.

Does any part of this fear have validity or am i just over anxiously paranoid ?

thanks
n
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Puccalove.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118223 by Puccalove
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not after you! However in this case I think it's far more likely to be incompetence and disorganisation on their part. In theory all evidence should be taken into account and a decision made on the balance of probability. However in reality the DWP prefer to take Atos recommendations. Not necessarily because it is most recent, although this maybe used as justification, but because it is usually advantageous to them to do so.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118230 by slugsta
Hi n,

I'm afraid that both DWP and ATOS are working with huge backlogs at the moment. Claimants seem to be waiting many months to hear anything else after submitting an ESA50 :( , it is not just you!

The only thing we can suggest that might speed things up is to get your MP involved

Contacting your MP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by slugsta. Reason: typo

More
10 years 1 month ago #118231 by MariW
Where are the words, "most recently dated evidence" ?

MW

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118289 by twinkerzzz
Hi again,

Ok i get the issue re: delays processing ESAs.

I would like confirmation ie: the rule / law regarding evidence - that the decision maker still has to take into account all the submitted evidence where processing of an ESA is delayed for many months and not just the most recently dated. i.e. in the case where they have obviously made a decision based essentially only on the most recently dated in this context, and ignored important aspects of the earlier dated submitted evidence - is drawing attention to the fact during a review or appeal something that works in my favour legally ?

The above replies didn't quite clarify what the determinating rule is. I need clarification about this, in case i need to take the case to a review.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118294 by Gordon
nicholson

The Decision Maker is required to consider all of the evidence presented to them in regard to a claim, however, they are entitled to assign more weight to one piece of evidence than another providing they can show that it is reasonable for them to do so.

I won't mislead you by suggesting that this does not favour the ATOS medical report, it will likely be more recent and is prepared by someone trained in Disability Assessment, but if there is clear evidence presented by the claimant that contradicts the information provided by ATOS then they need to use their judgment as to which is a better description of the claimants limitations.

Unfortunately, you also need to be aware that the DM is not medically trained, which will place the claimant at a disadvantage if their medical evidence is nothing more than that, that is why we always suggest that their GP or Consultant references the ESA Descriptors in any letter or report they provide.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.