× Members

"Changes in social security benefits" letter

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118499 by chococat
Hello folks!

Some background: I was originally placed into the Work-related Activity group for ESA after being moved from Income Support. I appealed this and got my MP involved due to various errors the Jobcentre had made. This decision was reconsidered and I was moved to the Support Group in February 2013.
In October I received a new ESA50 which was filled in and sent back on time. ATOS confirmed receipt when I contacted them. However, in early December I moved out of London, to the Midlands. Jobcentre Plus changed my address on file, I received a form about my current circumstances which I filled in, and then had a letter confirming I had been moved to a Jobcentre Plus near my new location. I was told that as I had moved, ATOS would have returned my ESA50 to the new Jobcentre who would have then forwarded it back. I called ATOS to confirm that they were aware of my address change, and they said the Jobcentre had informed them.

I've heard nothing since then until today when I received a "Changes in Social Security Benefits" letter - "from 7th April the rates of social security benefits will change" etc. I know these are usually sent out to all claimants before April. However it has information about "what to do if you think this decision is wrong". On the 2nd page it lists "extra money because you are in the support group".
I called the Jobcentre Plus phone number to ask if this means a decision has been made and I am still in the support group, or if it says "support group" simply because I was in the support group already and no decision has yet been made on my claim. I know from experience that their "decision letters" can be pretty obtuse and unclear.
The lady on the phone told me that there aren't any notes on my file since February 2013 when I was moved to the support group. She said that my claim is still active in the system and money is still being paid, so I shouldn't worry, and that she "assumes" a decision has been made and I have been placed in the support group again, but that she doesn't know for certain as there isn't anything at all in the system. She said there is nothing listed as a prognosis.
Shouldn't there at least be a note saying that a new ESA50 was issued? Should I press the issue and call again / write to them to find out what's going on, or would it be better to keep quiet and not start anything, as they're still paying me support group money? If a decision had been made, would I definitely have received a letter apart from the "changes in benefit rates" one I have?

Thanks for any help :)
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118504 by Gordon
chococat

Decision Notices are usually issued immediately a Decision is made, so although it has only been a month(?) since the DWP computer has this change on it, I believe that the letter you have just is the annual uprating letter.

You are legally entitled to written confirmation of what the Decision is, assuming one has been made, the DWP should supply one if you contact them, there should also be an ESA85A medical report produced from your ESA50 and any evidence attached, you should be able to get a copy of this from the DWP, it should contain a prognosis which will give you an indication of when you will be next assessed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118505 by chococat
Replied by chococat on topic "Changes in social security benefits" letter
Hi Gordon, thank you very much for your swift reply!

Gordon wrote: Decision Notices are usually issued immediately a Decision is made, so although it has only been a month(?) since the DWP computer has this change on it, I believe that the letter you have just is the annual uprating letter.

I was moved to the support group in February 2013, which is what's on the DWP system, so it was 13 months ago - that's apparently the last thing that's listed in my file.

Thank you very much for your advice - I will try to contact them again to chase whether or not a decision has been made, but given the current delays (and the fact that I moved when the assessment process had already begun and presumably disrupted it) I suspect there's no decision yet.

Thanks again for your help :)
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118507 by Gordon

chococat wrote: I was moved to the support group in February 2013, which is what's on the DWP system, so it was 13 months ago - that's apparently the last thing that's listed in my file.

Sorry Chococat not firing on all cylinders today. :blush:

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• andy
10 years 1 month ago #118551 by andy
I had the same letter today informing me about how my money will go up in April. Also telling me I can appeal decision etc??!! I was put in the support group for three years October 2015, so know it's just the normal annual rise letter. This can be so confusing for people, especially clients awaiting results from their ESA50 or new to the wonderful world of DWP.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118555 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic "Changes in social security benefits" letter
I'm afraid that DWP are not known for the clarity of their communications - just the opposite in fact!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.