× Members

PIP face to face assessments query

• Carrera74
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118587 by Carrera74
PIP face to face assessments query was created by Carrera74
I’ve seen this on a few sites and wondered if anyone knew if there was any truth in it? My 16 year old son is on the autistic spectrum and I have requested a home visit if possible for the assessment as the likelihood of getting him to attend an assessment centre is very slim! I struggle to get him to go somewhere familiar never mind somewhere new and it takes weeks to get him somewhere that he knows. He’s already getting anxious about it and I only sent the form off 2 weeks ago.

1. Unsuitable for calling to a Medical Examination Centre.

Age >75 years Age <12 years
Both Blind and Deaf Registered Blind (needs to be seen in own environment)
Cases accepted under the Special Rules defining Terminal illness.
Alzheimers
Amputation of both legs
Asperger's Autistic Spectrum Disorder / Autism
Cerebral Palsy
Dementia
Hemiplegia
Huntingdon's
Chorea
Korsakoffs
Psychosis
Macmillan Nurse attending
Motor Neurone Disease
On oxygen
Paraplegia
Quadraplegia
Renal Dialysis
Severe Mental Impairment
Severe Learning Difficulty
Spastic Diplegia
Tetraplegia
Total Parenteral Nutrition
Unstable Angina
Wernicke's Encephalopathy

2. Reference to Medical Advisor required for advice

AIDS
Astrocytoma
Bone Marrow Transplant
Brittle Bone Disease
Cancer
Cystic Fibrosis
Dermatomyositis
Glioma
Guillane-Barre Syndrome
Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Leukaemia
Liver Failure
Mental Retardation
Mental Subnormality
Multiple Sclerosis
Muscular Dystrophy
Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma
On Morphine / MST
Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Parkinson's Disease
Poliomyelitis
Polymyasitis
Registered partially sighted
Respiratory Failure
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Schizoaffective Disorder
Schizophrenia
SLE Spinal Injury
Systemic Lupus Erythematosis
Scleroderma 5evere Depression
Thallassaemia

3. Tentatively invite to Medical Examination Centre

Agoraphobia (offer taxi)
Anorexia Nervosa
Ataxia
Bipalar Affective Disorder / Bipolar Disease Manic Depression
Burns
Cardiomyopathy
Cerebrovascular Accident / CVA
Cerebrovascular Disease
CFS
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Crohn's Disease
Diabetic Neuropathy
Eating Disorder
Fibromyalgia
Haemopphilia
Heart Transplant
Hemiparesis
Learning Difficulties
Leg Ulcers
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / ME
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Peripheral Neuropathy
Phobic Anxiety
Sickle Cell Anaemia
Social Phobia
Spina Bifida
Stroke
Subarachnoid Haemorrage / SAH
Ulcerative Colitis
Varicose Ulcers
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118590 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP face to face assessments query
Carrera74

A quick search suggests that this info was produced in regard to a FOI in connection with DLA, whilst it is not impossible that a similar document exists for PIP, I am unaware of one at this time. The approach taken by ATOS is regard to ESA and I believe PIP is that a claimant will only be given a home assessment if the request is support by their GP in writing, so you need to speak to his doctor to see if they will write a letter explaining why attendance at an ATOS centre would be a problem.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrera74

• Carrera74
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago #118600 by Carrera74
Replied by Carrera74 on topic PIP face to face assessments query
Thank you Gordon.

I am in two minds to push for a home visit as they will be able to see at a glance if he turns up how difficult it is for him but it would cause him so much unnecessary anxiety and upset plus the weeks running up to the assessment will be stressful enough without this on top! He really stuggles with new people etc and things out of the norm.

I think I best make an appointment with our GP. Thanks again.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118623 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic PIP face to face assessments query
I was automatically offered a home assessment without asking by Capita in Cardiff - I have ME/CFS. I didn't want a home assessment as my daughter would be distressed with strangers in the house so I asked to be assessed at a centre and was.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118626 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP face to face assessments query

irisheyes wrote: I was automatically offered a home assessment without asking by Capita in Cardiff - I have ME/CFS. I didn't want a home assessment as my daughter would be distressed with strangers in the house so I asked to be assessed at a centre and was.

Capita are trying to do all PIP assessments in the home, ATOS (of course) are trying to do them all at one of their PIP assessment centres.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrera74

• Carrera74
  • Topic Author
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122241 by Carrera74
Replied by Carrera74 on topic PIP face to face assessments query
Just an update.

I phoned ATOS on Monday to ask for an update and they advised that my son's case did not need a face to face assessment and they had done a paper based assessment instead using the information I had sent to them. They have returned his application a week ago to the DWP and now I need to wait for them to get in touch with the outcome.

I didn't send a GP note I just made mention on his form that he would struggle with a f2f meeting because of his ASD and that I would appreciate as much time as possible to prepare him due to his anxiety.

I am not sure whether them completing a paper based assessment is a good or bad thing! It is good in one way as it will alleviate his anxiety - I had warned him it would be likely that he would need to meet someone. It's caused no end of sleepless nights for him but I needed him to know in advance so he would hopefully settle with the idea in time for the assessment. I am wondering if it is a bad thing as they haven't met him so can they assess properly without this?

I'll soon find out I'm sure :)
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.