× Members

Entitled to benefit to top up part time work?

• Nicola Marter
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118611 by Nicola Marter
Entitled to benefit to top up part time work? was created by Nicola Marter
I hope it is OK to ask a question on behalf of a friend.

My friend had been on ESA for a couple of years, and has just been lucky enough to find part time work with a small company which her family runs. She had her benefit cut a while back to less than £30 a week, I think because she wasn't well enough to do the Work Related Activities that you are required to go to when you are placed in the ESA WRAG group. I'm not sure of the details as to whether she is still technically on ESA, or the benefit payment is something else. I have ME which causes me to have brain fog, so I didn't take in everything she said, as it's quite complicated.

She will hopefully (just) be able to do this job as she can work flexi-time, which is the only way she can work as she has ME, so her health fluctuates from day to day. She will be working for 15 hours a week on the minimum wage, which isn't enough for her to live on as she needs to run a car to get to work.

She would like to know if she is entitled to claim any top up benefit, and if so how much it might be. She is single, and her adult son who is working lives with her. I know that it is probably difficult to be too specific in answering as these are all the details I have, and the system is not straight-forward.

She doesn't want to ring the DWP to find out because you have to give your NI number, and she doesn't want her query recorded on her details.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118614 by Gordon
N

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

To try and answer your question, it sounds like your friend is still receiving ESA but with a sanction, the likliest reason for this is failing to attend an appointment which would suggest potential problems with any work they intend to do!

They cannot work and receive ESA (see below), so they need to close their ESA claim before they start work, I cannot think of any assistance that they may be eligible for, the Return to Work allowance has now been stopped and they are not working enough hours for Working Tax Credits, the only thing I can suggest is to get advice from their local CAB as they are more geared up for this scenario than we are.

The one exception to the work rule is Permitted Work, your friend can work up to 16 hours for 52 weeks providing they don earn more than £100/week. Any PW must be agreed by the DWP in advance and will be included in any future re-asessment, but should not trigger one. How this will be viewed with an outstanding sanction, I am afraid I cannot say.

Work Programme

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.