× Members

Thought I was just having a blood test

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118613 by Nelliedog
Thought I was just having a blood test was created by Nelliedog
I suffered a stroke in 2001 which left me with a number of health problems and disabilities. I was called for a routine blood test to my doctors last week. When the practice nurse took me into her room she said she had to weigh me. Ok - I was weighed. Then she sat me down and said she had a "survey" to complete. I know I am overweight, I piled on weight after my stroke due to medication and lack of mobility. She asked if I went swimming - I said I didn't - did I go cycling? - No. I saw she was ticking boxes "Yes" or "No" on the form on her pc. I pointed out to her that I suffered from blackouts - for which I have had numerous heart tests, neurological tests to be told it is probably something to do with my brain haemorrhage which caused the stroke but they couldn't pin it down. I said even if I did swim or cycle then I wouldn't be able to now due to these unpredictable blackouts. She then asked what housework I do, change beds, vacuum, garden. Did I do the weekly supermarket shop. I said if she read back in my volumes of notes she would see I cannot walk very far, I cannot feel whether anything is hot or cold with my left hand and I drag my left side around with my right. Again due to the blackouts cooking, carrying hot pans, sharp objects and so on are not safe for me to do. Even though I don't look disabled and like to keep myself looking as well as I can I still have these problems and my husband generally does the cooking and heavy housework. Of course there was no provision to put these sorts of comments on her form - just "Yes" or "No" boxes. After she had finished her interrogation she finally did my blood test and blood pressure check - blood pressure ok surprisingly given how annoyed I was beginning to get. Then she said before I left she had to give me some leaflets. These consisted of about 8 A4 sheets advising how long one should swim or cycle or whatever. As she handed them to me she said "..some afternoon reading for you. Maybe you could get your husband to read them for you". Now I am not backwards at coming forwards as they say but it was only when we got back in the car that I realised what the bitch had meant - your husband is doing everything else for you. I was annoyed with myself for not realising whilst I was still with her and tackling about it. A friend who has recently had to be grilled by ATOS said she was asked similar questions. There was no room to explain anything. I am convinced that this is getting ready for when people have to have their DLA or other sickness benefit re-assessed. If my doctor is written to about my condition it will look as though I am overweight and idle. Our surgery has moved also and it is a new building upstairs over a library. The car park is a considerable distance away and there is just a small lift which wouldn't fit a mobility scooter in if you used one to get from car to surgery. The distance from the reception desk to the doctors and nurses rooms is more than 20 metres. Can we be blamed for thinking all this conspires against us.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118617 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Thought I was just having a blood test
Marion

I really don't think this has anything to do with benefits, most surgeries are doing some form of weel being assessment, I had one at my own surgery last week.

In addition, most claimants are struggling to get their GPs involved in helping with benefits, so I would be very surprised if they were volunteering to do this for the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118619 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Thought I was just having a blood test
Yes, I recently had one of these new Vascular Checks.

There were what I considered to be, some strange questions. However, most of the questions were just repeating ones that I had already been asked at other G.P. clinics.

Apparently, these new Health Checks are not proving to be very effective :

www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/therapy-ar...article#.UyHPXIVQ0sw

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.