× Members

DLA Decision Makers Review of Initial Claim

• Nichola
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118702 by Nichola
Question: If a DLA (not PIP) Claim is submitted and reviewed twice by a DM with no change, can a DM look at it again as I am told a DM can only look at a claim twice, then a Tribunal will make a decision?

My claim was reviewed three times despite a tribunal running and appears DM on the third review made a decision before the tribunal, previously adjourned, was reconvened?

Trying to find out why this happened but wondered if any former DMs on here may know if this is acceptable?

Thanks in advance
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118706 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Decision Makers Review of Initial Claim

Nichola wrote: Question: If a DLA (not PIP) Claim is submitted and reviewed twice by a DM with no change, can a DM look at it again as I am told a DM can only look at a claim twice, then a Tribunal will make a decision?

My claim was reviewed three times despite a tribunal running and appears DM on the third review made a decision before the tribunal, previously adjourned, was reconvened?

Trying to find out why this happened but wondered if any former DMs on here may know if this is acceptable?

Thanks in advance

The normal procedure is for a Decision Maker to make a Decision on the initial claim or re-assessment, if the claimant disagrees with this they can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, another Decision Maker will review all of the evidence to see whether they can change the original Decision, if they do not then the case is forwarded to the Tribunal Service for a hearing.

However, the DWP are entitled to, and in fact are required to re-assess the Decision everytime a new piece of evidence or a submission is submitted by the claimant and if at any time they believe that they can revise the Decision, they can. In practice they only do this, if they do it at all, immediately prior to the Tribunal Hearing.

Any new Decision must be more in the claimants favour than the Decision being appealed, this will result in any appeal being lapsed (stopped), although this new Decision becomes appealable in its own right.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.