× Members

Foodbanks

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118718 by mumsgirl
Foodbanks was created by mumsgirl
I don't know if anyone (maybe members with experience?) can help with advice regarding foodbanks? Please accept my apologies if I am asking in the wrong place or wasting anybody's time. Someone I know has has his JSA sanctioned. He is going to appeal and apply for a hardship payment, but he would also like to see if he qualifies to get anything from a food bank. Does anyone know how to get referred to a foodbank, as I believe you just can't walk in and ask for food?
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118719 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Foodbanks

mumsgirl wrote: I don't know if anyone (maybe members with experience?) can help with advice regarding foodbanks? Please accept my apologies if I am asking in the wrong place or wasting anybody's time. Someone I know has has his JSA sanctioned. He is going to appeal and apply for a hardship payment, but he would also like to see if he qualifies to get anything from a food bank. Does anyone know how to get referred to a foodbank, as I believe you just can't walk in and ask for food?

As far as I can find out with a quick search they will need to be issued with vouchers which they can then redeem for food at a local Food Bank, the following has details

www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/...elp_in_your_area.htm

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mumsgirl

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118723 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Foodbanks
Services vary throughout the country. However most CABs and local councils can issue food vouchers. These are usually for three days worth of non-perishable food stuffs. They are issued per household so you can have one voucher at a time for a single person, couple or family. There is usually a limit to how many food vouchers someone can have. Again this varies but is usually something like three per household in a 6-12 month period. They are supposed to be a short term stop gap solution for situations like sanctioning and cannot usually provide long term support. The local jobcentre should be able to signpost to a referring organisation. Most food banks are run by the trussell trust with cooperation from local churches;
www.trusselltrust.org
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Puccalove.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mumsgirl

More
10 years 1 month ago #118731 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic Foodbanks
Some of our larger cities have independent food banks that long predate the Trussell Trust and it’s response to the current welfare crisis. I’m going on personal knowledge of a set up in my own community when I say that such independent food banks may not always give food to take away but they will feed (and often clothe) a deperate individual or family on the premises without referral from a third party. It is worth contacting the Salvation Army to see what’s available in your area. The SA is a Christian institution with a very long history of helping people in obvious need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law), mumsgirl, Puccalove

More
10 years 1 month ago #118759 by mumsgirl
Replied by mumsgirl on topic Foodbanks
Just wanted to say 'thank you' to everyone that replied to my message. He will phone the job centre tomorrow. I think it's Trussel we have here too (Glasgow).
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.