× Members

DWP check on savings

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118903 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic DWP check on savings
Gordon

If you have gone from long term IB to ESA WRAG to ESA SUPPORT on appeal, then am I correct in understanding that you’re not then ‘means tested’, with regard to saving/inheritance?

And that should you fail to make the Support Group upon re-assessment, after 365 days, it would then depend on your ‘means’ as to whether or not you qualify for ESA IR.

Thanks

P.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118921 by carruthers
Replied by carruthers on topic DWP check on savings
Can I add, for the sake of completeness and clarity that DLA and - if I understand correctly - PIP are NOT means tested and - that anyone receiving only one of those benefits need not declare any capital assets.

Similarly anyone getting ESA (CB) - that is based on their contributions not on their income - is also not subject to any test of capital assets - though I believe certain sorts of income do affect the level of benefit received. In the case of ESA it is only those getting ESA (IR) who have to worry about capital assets affecting their level of benefit.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118927 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP check on savings

petrocelli wrote: Gordon

If you have gone from long term IB to ESA WRAG to ESA SUPPORT on appeal, then am I correct in understanding that you’re not then ‘means tested’, with regard to saving/inheritance?

And that should you fail to make the Support Group upon re-assessment, after 365 days, it would then depend on your ‘means’ as to whether or not you qualify for ESA IR.

Thanks

P.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

In principle, having been on IB then you will receive Contribution Based ESA, which is not means tested, but does take into account any pension income that the claimant might have. However, if the claimant is place in the Support Group, or qualifies for an ESA premium due to the other benefits that they are receiving then it is possible that the claimant would also be eligible for an Income Related ESA top-up to their ESA(CB), this would be means tested and would only be payable (along with any Premiums), if they pass the means test.

If the claimant was at some time in the future moved to the WRAG, then their ESA(CB) will remain in payment for 365 days (in this specific scenario), after which on-going payments will only be made if they are eligible for ESA(IR) which will be subject to the means test.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago #118928 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP check on savings

carruthers wrote: Can I add, for the sake of completeness and clarity that DLA and - if I understand correctly - PIP are NOT means tested and - that anyone receiving only one of those benefits need not declare any capital assets.

Similarly anyone getting ESA (CB) - that is based on their contributions not on their income - is also not subject to any test of capital assets - though I believe certain sorts of income do affect the level of benefit received. In the case of ESA it is only those getting ESA (IR) who have to worry about capital assets affecting their level of benefit.

DLA and PIP are not means test in regard to other DWP benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.