× Members

ESA

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #118922 by Bramble
ESA was created by Bramble
I am in the work related activity group for ESA. My health has deteriorated over the past year, and I am wondering whether it would be worth trying to get into the support group. I can't get any sense from the DWP about how to do it, which is adding to my uncertainty. My original decision was made in August 2012. Any replies would be helpful.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #118929 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA

JAF wrote: I am in the work related activity group for ESA. My health has deteriorated over the past year, and I am wondering whether it would be worth trying to get into the support group. I can't get any sense from the DWP about how to do it, which is adding to my uncertainty. My original decision was made in August 2012. Any replies would be helpful.

I am stating the obvious but it is often missed, to be placed in the Support Group you will need to meet one or more of the Descriptors for the group, so the first thing you need to do is check whether this is the case or not. See our ESA Claim guides

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

You also need to be aware that the ESA Descriptors and Regulations were updated in January 2013, so it is possible that as a result of this you may not score for some of the Descriptors that you did when assessed in 2012, so in addition to checking whether you meet the SG criteria you should also confirm that you still meet the WRAG ones.

Finally, in order for your deterioration to be assessed you will need to provide medical evidence that specifically shows the deterioration and that also shows that it occurred after you were last assessed.

If you think you do meet the requirements for the SG then you should write to the DWP office that normally deals with your claim requesting a re-assessment of your claim as a result of a deteriorated condition, you will then be sent a new ESA50 to complete and will likely have to attend a face to face assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.