× Members

Pip questions

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119036 by Mags
Pip questions was created by Mags
This is just a question at the moment but at some time I will have to face PIP, so my question is about moving around.

I have O.A. in both hips but have a back problem too which has just been diagnosed properly, the O.A. is in early stages but painful when walking, but I have my doctor's words in my head "use it or loose it", which I agree, but the back problem is complicated and basically exercise is not a good thing for it, neither is physio, pain relief is all there is, this makes walking very difficult, but I can walk. Unfortunately due to another complaint (if I was an animal would probably have been put down!) am intollerant to strong painkillers, have been referred to pain clinic, but have been there before so don't hold out much.

My question is it takes ages to walk and is painful, I have a high pain threshhold so grin and bare it, but I have a stick to help with the O.A. and my back but I am very slow and some days I can't go out as it is too painful to walk, I have set off to go for a walk and got to the end of my path and had to go home as I couldn't stand the pain, would this be taken into account with PIP or because its not everyday it would not?

Sorry to waffle.
Mags
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Puccalove.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119040 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Pip questions
When assessing whether someone fulfills a descriptor any side effects or difficulties the claimant experiences during the activity, such as pain, are supposed to be considered.

Further to this they are supposed to consider whether you can do this "RELIABLY" - so if quite often you are not able to do something the descriptor may apply.

Another key consideration is whether you can do something "REPEATEDLY" - so if you can do something once a day but cannot do it again, for example, the descriptor again may apply.

Thirdly it must be considered whether you can do something in a "TIMELY MANNER" - so if it takes a long time to do something again the descriptor can be applied.

The fourth consideration is whether it can be done "SAFELY" - so if you can do something but are at risk physically or mentally in some way again the descriptor can apply.

The descriptor must apply on average or for most of the time, that is more than half.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Puccalove.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119042 by Mags
Replied by Mags on topic Pip questions
Hi Puccalove

Thanks for the reply, think I've got it, I think the reliably, and safely is where I would fit, and yes it would be for more than 50% of the time.

Many thanks
Mags

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris