× Members

ESA and new sick note

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119114 by bbzpda
ESA and new sick note was created by bbzpda
A letter has arrived today for me from DWP re my claim for ESA.

It says my current sick note runs out on Friday 28th March. This is true.

It then says I must send another "medical certificate by 29th March". Or my application for ESA and payments will be stopped or suspended.

This is a Saturday and also only gives 24 hours after the date the previous one runs out.

Anyone else had this? Can they really expect a letter on a Saturday? Is 24 hours realistic to turn around a new sick note?
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119118 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and new sick note
PDA

You Fit Notes need to be continuous or you will not be paid for any days that are missed, but you can only have one active Note at a time so that is why they are asking for the new one to be dated for the day after the previous one expires, it does not matter that this is over a weekend.

Your GP should be willing to issue a new Note in advance of the previous one ending providing that they still believe that are Unfit for Work, so make an appointment to see them in the next couple of days.

Ideally you should aim to send a new Fit Note in to the DWP about a week before the current one expires this should ensure that your payments are not suspended.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago #119120 by bbzpda
Replied by bbzpda on topic ESA and new sick note
I've spoken to DWP. They say the letter is not quite worded right - should say I need a note from the 29th, rather than by.

Not sure I trust this, so will have to dash into GP and get a note and off in the post by first class (and not the actual pre-paid 2nd class envelope the DWP provide!).

More
10 years 1 month ago #119122 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and new sick note

PDA wrote: I've spoken to DWP. They say the letter is not quite worded right - should say I need a note from the 29th, rather than by.

Not sure I trust this, so will have to dash into GP and get a note and off in the post by first class (and not the actual pre-paid 2nd class envelope the DWP provide!).

You are right to be concerned, the ESA payment system will not issue a payment if there is no active Fit Note on file and whilst any missed payment will be made up in the next payment if you are reliant on having a payment every two weeks then it can cause problems.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.