× Members

PIP

• keanda
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119131 by keanda
PIP was created by keanda
Hi
I'm on the final pages of my application for pip. I was just looking for clarification about how far you can walk.
Trying to decide which box to tick? I know that they are also supposed to take into account the speed, manner, pain and discomfort as well as the distance. Does this activity differ from DLA where it also wanted to know at what point the pain and discomfort became severe. If you could maybe 15-20 meters and then have to stop and rest because of severe pain and discomfort but could then walk another 20 meters despite pain would you tick the walk less than 20 meters or would you tick the walk 20 meters but no more than 50meters? To be honest I tend to have to use the wheelchair mostly but am unable to self propel.

thanks
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• keanda
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119136 by keanda
Replied by keanda on topic PIP
Sorry I should have included this in the query. In the moving around section is this specifically outdoors or indoors or both. My initial thought was that it was outdoors as it mentions teraine, curbs and steps. I mainly use a manual wheelchair outdoors but it is too big in the house and can't get it through the doors etc so I use a walking stick, stair lift in the house
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119137 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP
keanda

One of the major difference between PIP and DLA is that there is no reference to the pain that a claimant may experience whilst carrying out an activity, although many DWP guidance documents for PIP do still refer to "severe discomfort".

That does not mean that pain is not a limiting factor that the assessor and Decision Maker must take account of, just that there is no terminology currently associated with it, it is quite possible as Case Law becomes available for PIP, that this situation wil be clarified.

Even though you usually use a wheelchair you must respond to this question, unless there is clear evidence that a claimant cannot walk, then it will be assumed that they can, so you need to define any limitations that you have.

I would argue that the phrases "reliably" and "safely" require that the claimant carries out an activity without pain, so any distance you can walk while in pain should be discounted. There are examples in the PIP Claim guide.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago #119138 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP

keanda wrote: Sorry I should have included this in the query. In the moving around section is this specifically outdoors or indoors or both. My initial thought was that it was outdoors as it mentions teraine, curbs and steps. I mainly use a manual wheelchair outdoors but it is too big in the house and can't get it through the doors etc so I use a walking stick, stair lift in the house

The DWP guidance for PIP refers to walking out of doors, so if you have problems with uneven surfaces, slopes or curbs hen you should include details of this in your answers.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: keanda

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.