× Members

Re changing Motability MVP to a large WAV

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119148 by spasm
As my husbands' health is deteriorating we are considering changing to a large WAV. At the moment we have a hoist which lifts the wheelchair into the back of the car. Up until the beginning of February he was just about able to walk to the front of the car from the back. Now he is unable to do this safely and reliably without falling. At the moment he can just about transfer from the w/chair to the car if it is positioned right and with support.

My husband at the moment has a lifetime award for the higher rate of mobility and care. He does know that he is going to be assessed for PIP at some point in the future. Could this change of vehicle bring the assessment closer?

The ATOS assessment caused him enough stress and problems and he does not feel he can cope with starting it all again.

Have you any thoughts on this matter?

yours spasms' wife
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119151 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Re changing Motability MVP to a large WAV
Hi Mrs Spasm,

Switching your vehicle via the motability charity should not have any impact on your DLA award. This award can, of course, be reviewed at any time under the Right Payment Program, otherwise he won't be 'invited' to claim PIP until 2015 at the earliest, possibly very much later.

The Right Payment Programme

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119231 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re changing Motability MVP to a large WAV

As my husbands' health is deteriorating we are considering changing to a large WAV. At the moment we have a hoist which lifts the wheelchair into the back of the car. Up until the beginning of February he was just about able to walk to the front of the car from the back. Now he is unable to do this safely and reliably without falling. At the moment he can just about transfer from the w/chair to the car if it is positioned right and with support.

If you have a Motability vehicle, if you want to change it, then all you do is to contact Motability Operations on 0845 456 4566. There is no need to to notify the DWP.

I have just had to change vehicles and have a car big enough to have a wheelchair hoist fitted. I did not let the DLA know because I'm already on DLA HRM & HRC indefinitely, and as the DWP have advised me in the past, I am on already on the highest rates of DLA, so no need to report anything as a change in circumstances.

To apply for a new Motability vehicle, including a WAV, the only requirement is that your husband has DLA HRM for at least another year. Mrs HB is of course correct in saying that any recipient of DLA may be subject to the Right Payment Programme, even if on an indefinite awared.

Hope this helps.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.