× Members

Income Related ESA Contr Based

More
10 years 1 month ago #119229 by QueenBee
Income Related ESA Contr Based was created by QueenBee
Hi Everyone

I had sent a message onto the forum last night and I know that you are a few men down but I couldn't find my question put to the Forum. I 'm now a bit concerned that I've lost it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119237 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income Related ESA Contr Based

QueenBee wrote: Hi Everyone

I had sent a message onto the forum last night and I know that you are a few men down but I couldn't find my question put to the Forum. I 'm now a bit concerned that I've lost it.

I am afraid you have no other messages on the forum.

If you tried to post just before the forum closed at 10pm, then it may be that you were allowed to create a new post because the forum was still open, but were not allowed to submit it because by then the forum had closed.

I am sorry but you will have to re-post your question.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119255 by QueenBee
Replied by QueenBee on topic Income Related ESA Contr Based
My question is this.

I recently separated from my husband and I am in receipt of DLA and ESA Support group contributions based.
I have also been in my mother's will as the main beneficiary. I had informed both DLA and ESA but as I have ESA on contributions based it is not a problem.

On leaving my husband I bought a bungalow which was still some distance away from my family but one I could afford to buy and enough money to decorate, carpet etc. and money left over to assist the finance of running a home on my own for a while. Or so I thought, I did have the property surveyed but the findings which came to light was that I was going to have to spend a lot more money than I thought. I needed to have the electric supply upgraded and some points were mouldy and had new plugs. In the kitchen I had a cooker which came with the bungalow but when you used it the fumes made my eyes water and became quite a nuisance, I believe the safety of the top oven had aged overtime and became unsatisfactory. Then I had an accident and fell into the kitchen units and they had to be re-fitted where possible. The ceilings needed to be replastered everywhere because the ceiling has asbestos in it. I had internal new doors fitted and wardrobes built by a carpenter, Decorators. ALso the gas fire was comdemned so that had to come out. The list was endless. I was not being fussy, I need everything to be safe, as I live on my own and can't do any of DIY anymore, but it needed tradesmen to do the jobs anyway.

I left my husband who unfortunately was a drinker and it got worse over time, I did not want to see my mothers wealth go down the drain. His job was also being threatened too, the whole company. I could not stand living with him any more as he became unreasonable and it was making my own health suffer. Plus I had worked most of my working life apart from when I had my girls, I was a single parent, so I know how hard life was, I was not about to see my hard work and my mum's hard work go down the drain. I left with nothing only my own bits. I took nothing of the home I'd built up for 15 years.

I want to ask that when I finally get around to filling out the form ESA3 10/13 Income related and support allowance would I qualify do you think? I wont be receiving anythng from my ex husband as he said he's already kept me for 10 years from when I started to be unwell, and if I tried to claim against him he would counter claim against me.

I have spinal stenosis in the neck, thoracic and lumber I have had 2 decompressions done and I am still very disabled in the it is hell to live with the pain. My stenosis will get worse as I age and I have noticed that it does and has done so.

What advice could you give me in how I answer the form which is straight forward but how do I explain about the inheritance. I bought a home, furnished it, and made it safe to live in?
Thank you so much. I have always relied on your forum information as being quite cutting edge knowledge, but I cant seem to find any thing relating to this problem I have. I am really anxious as I do not want them to think that I have had a whale of a time spending relentlessly and now I come to them for help, it was not like that. I have a small amount left within the limits they set.

Sincerely and thanks
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119261 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income Related ESA Contr Based
QB

From what you have posted there will be two issues as to whether you can receive an ESA(IR) top-up to your existing ESA(CB) payments.

First they will look at your eligibility for ESA(IR) based on your current income and your assets and savings.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

Secondly, it will depend on how they view the money from your mother's will, unfortunately, there is no way for us to pre-empt how they might view this, I would hope that they consider the house purchase and repairs are reasonable, but there is a possibility that they will not, this could be in regard the full amount (although I doubt it), or in part. If they do then you will still be deemed as having the money and it will be counted as part of your assets and savings.

For this reason, I would suggest that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county. If they do dispute any of your expenditure then you will need the assistance of such an advisor to challenge any Decisions that the DWP might make.

If there is an issue, then one of the key things you will need is receipts for any purchases or expenditure that you have made, so you should create file for all of these so that you have them to hand.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QueenBee

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.