× Members

PIP question

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119278 by Jude
PIP question was created by Jude
Hi all,

I received a letter last Saturday (dated the 18th March) saying I had to return my PIP forms by 26th March! ( my DLA runs out in June) I rang them on Monday explaining I had not received any PIP forms.They had my address on the letter mixed up so if it wasn't for the fact the regular postman had returned to work. I wouldn't have even received my reminder letter! I am really worried I wont have my DLA next month because of their mistake.

The woman on the phone told me the PIP forms would be posted out and I should receive them within 10-14 days and that they had to be returned by April 26th, which is not giving me very much time to get consultant reports ect and to fill in the forms.

Since my brain surgery my vision is affected, so would it be ok if I get someone to type and print off sheets and attach them to the PIP forms, explaining in detail, about my illnesses if there isn't room on the form? Will they accept this and should I state I was not able do this myself?

Regarding PIP mobility and how it differs to DLA. I am sure I read somewhere here on the forum that the PIP guidelines to claim higher rate mobility allowance, were that you had to be able to walk less than 20 meters to qualify? Or did I dream that because I cant find it now ? When I did the PIP test here, I put I could walk further than 20 meters and I still had the enhanced mobility so I am confused! I am wondering if I actually read it wrong!

Also, I have pain, discomfort and breathlessness well before walking 20 meters due to having Angina, so does that count? Is that the distance that matters and anything else afterwards is ignored? I really don't want to lose my mobility.

I have suffered a stroke and been told to avoid stress but the worry of losing my benefit is causing me immense stress.I am now divorced and wonder if this will affect my claim because even though I need help through the day and night, I don't get it. Both my step sons continue to live with me as does my son, but they are as much help to me as the man in the moon!Also my step son is ill and he claims DLA and ESA. I cant claim carers allowance for him because they will say if I care for him I cant need help myself!

Its all so confusing just wish a consultants report would suffice!
Thanks Amber
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 1 month ago #119280 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic PIP question
For a start, I suggest you download our PIP guide HERE

After reading it you can post again if you need more information.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jude

More
10 years 1 month ago #119282 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP question
Amber

The first thing you need to do, at the risk of worrying you further, is to contact the DWP again and request that the new form includes a covering letter with the new return date on it, if the form has already been sent, then a separate letter is sent. I am aware, from other forums , of claimants who for a variety of reasons have returned their PIP forms "late" after being told that it would be OK by the PIP Call Centre staff only to have their claim closed.

As a general rule the DWP call centre staff have no authority what so ever in regard to benefits and nothing that they say on the phone can be treated as legally binding on the DWP.

With regard to completing the PIP form, your first port of call should be our PIP Claim guide in the Members area

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

To be awarded the Enhanced rate for Mobility you need to receive a total 12 points across the two mobility Descriptors, if you can only score points in the Moving Around Descriptor then you will need to meet the following

Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided.

You must be able to this Reliably. You should not be considered able to do something if , for example, you aren’t safe doing it or it causes you pain or discomfort or it exhausts you or you’re very slow at doing it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jude

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.