× Members

IB TO ESA MEDICAL

• Angela Mills
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119279 by Angela Mills
IB TO ESA MEDICAL was created by Angela Mills
Hi this is my first post so bear with me but needed help as I have only just joined up. Approximately 3 years ago I had to attend a IB medical and according to them I failed but I appealed and had to go to the Magistrates court after waiting 14 months to get a hearing. I won but the ordeal was horrific and the stress it caused me made my depression, panic attacks and anxiety a lot worse. After filling in another form last year I have just heard I have to go for another medical which I am dreading but wondered if anyone can give me a few pointers as how to help me try to get over my point this time and not having to go to court again. They were so quick to stop my benifit but took me ages to get it reinstated. Thanks if anyone can help, and I have read the help pages which are available to me on this site, which I did before when I went last time
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119285 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB TO ESA MEDICAL
A

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I would start by having a look at our ESA Claim guides

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

These explain how to complete the ESA50, I know you have already returned yours, but we find that a lot of claimants have taken the questions on the form as verbatim when there are actually differences between the form and the ESA Descriptors and Regulations which you are actually assessed against.

Towards the back of each guide is details of the questions likely to be asked at your assessment. I have to warn you that most will see obtuse and unrelated to what you have been asked on the form, this is deliberate; much of the recommendation that ATOS will make with regard to an award is the result of assumptions based on your answers to these questions.

As an example; if you answer "yes" to the question "do you watch TV?" without qualification, the assessor will likely assume that you can sit for long periods of time, that you have no problem with your sight or hearing and that you have good concentration.

If you have any further questions please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Angela Mills
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119333 by Angela Mills
Replied by Angela Mills on topic IB TO ESA MEDICAL
Thanks for pointing me in the right way to help me with the medical but I am not sure when people talk about being put in a Support Group, can you tell me what this means please. I am reading up on all the points but am I correct in assuming I can ask for the medical to be recorded or that I can make a recording on my mobile.

Hope all this doesnt seem stupid but I am totally unprpared for this
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119336 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB TO ESA MEDICAL

Creaky wrote: Thanks for pointing me in the right way to help me with the medical but I am not sure when people talk about being put in a Support Group, can you tell me what this means please. I am reading up on all the points but am I correct in assuming I can ask for the medical to be recorded or that I can make a recording on my mobile.

Hope all this doesnt seem stupid but I am totally unprpared for this

ESA has two groups, the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) and the Support Group (SG).

The WRAG is points based, you need to score a total of 15 points or more across all of the ESA Descriptors to be placed in it.

To be placed in the SG you need to meet one of the SG Descriptors, many of these (but not all) correspond to the 15 point Descriptors for the WRAG.

Members of the WRAG are required to do Work Related Activity to prepare them for a return to the workplace, however, you are not required to work or to seek work. Members of the SG do not have to do this WRA, but can volunteer if they wish.

You can ask for the assessment to be recorded there is a template letter in the guides and a MS-Word document in the same section. You can covertly record the interview yourself, but you need to be aware that if you are found to be doing so, the assessor will terminate the appointment and you will be classed as a no-show, so be careful doing it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Angela Mills
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119723 by Angela Mills
Replied by Angela Mills on topic IB TO ESA MEDICAL
I have already written to you regarding my Medical for Incapacity to ESA and I am attending a medical tomorrow. Due to my mental condition I am feeling terrible but will take my mother with me for support. Would it help at the medical if my mum wrote a letter to be forwarded to the DWP highlighting any aspects of my condition also the fact that my father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and is getting a lot worse with my mother caring for him and also me, this has made me far worse, as I know she is suffering badly. I have also managed to get my medical recorded so not sure if this will help me at all. Last time I went for the medical I had to appeal and fortunately won but having to go through it again is devastating

Thanks

Creaky
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by .

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119725 by
Replied by on topic IB TO ESA MEDICAL

Creaky wrote: I have already written to you regarding my Medical for Incapacity to ESA and I am attending a medical tomorrow. Due to my mental condition I am feeling terrible but will take my mother with me for support. Would it help at the medical if my mum wrote a letter to be forwarded to the DWP highlighting any aspects of my condition also the fact that my father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and is getting a lot worse with my mother caring for him and also me, this has made me far worse, as I know she is suffering badly. I have also managed to get my medical recorded so not sure if this will help me at all. Last time I went for the medical I had to appeal and fortunately won but having to go through it again is devastating

Thanks

Creaky

Hi C,

It will certainly do no harm if your Mother writes such a letter and you present a copy of it to the assessing HCP before the face to face starts.

You could also copy and present any other supportive information to the HCP.

It may be advisable to check that the equipment is available and working to record your assessment before hand.

Good Luck and I hope your assessment goes well.

Please return to provide an update.

This FAQ may be helpful :

ESAMedical – What to expect

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by .

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.