× Members

Benefits

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119316 by Seth Laa
Benefits was created by Seth Laa
Hi everybody, this is my 1st time on the forum so maybe the question has been asked before but I am confused as to what benefits I may be able to claim. I have been constantly employed for the last 30 years but my illness (Progressive Multiple Sclerosis) is becoming so bad that I don't think that I can work much longer. I am currently receiving HR mobility + MR care but have approx £20,000 in savings, (yes I know that seems selfish and greedy but my savings will eventually be used for home improvements as I don't know if I will be able to afford these thing again). Am I entitled to any benefits when the inevitable happens or do I need to spend my savings now. I would be extremely grateful for your input, I thank you in advance and wish you all at B+W the very best for the future, from Russell
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119321 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefits

Russell wrote: Hi everybody, this is my 1st time on the forum so maybe the question has been asked before but I am confused as to what benefits I may be able to claim. I have been constantly employed for the last 30 years but my illness (Progressive Multiple Sclerosis) is becoming so bad that I don't think that I can work much longer. I am currently receiving HR mobility + MR care but have approx £20,000 in savings, (yes I know that seems selfish and greedy but my savings will eventually be used for home improvements as I don't know if I will be able to afford these thing again). Am I entitled to any benefits when the inevitable happens or do I need to spend my savings now. I would be extremely grateful for your input, I thank you in advance and wish you all at B+W the very best for the future, from Russell

We cannot give definitive financial advice on the forum, for that you need to see a trained advisor, but based on what you have posted I would expected you to be eligible for Contribution Based ESA which is not means tested although it does take account of any pension income, you will need to have NI Contributions in the last two full Tax Years to qualify.

Providing you pass the assessment, ESA(CB) is payable for at least a year depending on which group you are placed in, for the WRAG; payments will stop after 365 days which includes any time you spend on the Assessment rate, if you are placed in the Support Group then there is no limit.

If you need to claim Income Related ESA, for example if your ESA(CB) is time limited then it is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth Laa

More
10 years 1 month ago #119324 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Benefits
Hello Russell,

Welcome to the forum,

The question, I take it, is whether you will be able to claim any out of work benefits. Employment Support Allowance which replaced Incapacity Benefit is now the benefit for claimants who cannot work due to illness or disability.

You may well be able to claim Contributions Based ESA based on your N.I contributions. You would not be able to claim Income Related ESA whilst you have savings over £16,000.

As well as there being two types of ESA there are also two levels or what the DWP call groups. One is called the Support Group. This is for severely sick or disabled individuals and the criteria are quite strict. The other is called the Work Related Activity Group. As the name suggests there are some responsibilities associated with this group such as regular Work Focused Interviews and possibly some training or voluntary work.

You should also be aware that you can only receive CB ESA for one year if you are placed in the WRAG. A good thing to think about would be what group you might be placed in. The ESA guides explain the entitlement criteria.

I do not know your personal circumstances but other things would affect a claim for IR ESA such as having a partner that works over 24hrs a week.

Other options to consider are working part time and claiming working tax credits. I do not know much about these however and believe things will change with the introduction of universal credit. You can technically do some part time work on ESA but as you may already be aware work and benefits tend not to mix very well. You are usually better off either working full time or being on benefits, working part time whilst claiming can cause issues.

Oh and by the way I don't think being sensible and saving makes you selfish or greedy it's just a shame the system does not reward you for doing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth Laa

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.