× Members

ESA + work?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119679 by tmato2001
ESA + work? was created by tmato2001
Hi everyone again
Big thanks to all who work for this godsend website and especially those who have advised me in the past.
OK my main enquiry today is something that keeps propping up, and was mentioned by my last HCP assessor, (i was placed in the SG section from my first assessment in 2011 under this new dark Govt's rules, until it all went wrong in 2012 when i failed that assessment with 0 points)
while i'm in this 'waiting to be assessed' for ESA stage of this new claim (my 5th in as many and more years), which started in feb 2014,
there was a clause if i'm not mistaken in the SG benefit rules that states: "you can do paid or unpaid work for up to 16hrs p/wk" does this clause still apply? And furthermore could someone do paid/unpaid work under the new ESA guidelines on the same conditions? I.E. work up to 16hrs p/wk, whilst in the 'waiting to be assessed' stage of ESA benefit? or do you have to wait for the award WRAG or SG?

And could it count against ones chances of getting ESA, WRAG or SG? especially if, that is in reality, the max number of hours one could manage with any disabling illness?

I ask this because at the end of my 2013 assessment the HCP asked if i could do some voluntary work for 2 or 3hrs p/day! It's just that if one can do something to show willing, even though its against medical advice, and could lessen ones life span.
Is it worth it? and more importantly will the DWP let us claim ESA doing those minimum 16hr weeks work, paid or unpaid? could you at benefits and work please advise me on new guidelines about undertaking this?
Thanks for listening
sincerely Tommy.

tomzee
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #119680 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA + work?
Tommy

There are two options available to you, Voluntary Work and Permitted Work.

Voluntary work is usually carried out for registered charities but it can be mandated as part of the Work Programme, in this case the work may be for a private company but in the public interest. You cannot be paid for doing voluntary work nor can you replace someone who would normally be paid for doing the work.

Permitted Work allows you to work and be paid for doing so, while you continue to receive ESA, PW operates at two levels of income and hours that can be worked.

Guide Voluntary Work

Permitted Work

You can do both while you are receiving the ESA Assessment rate, however, you need to be aware that the DWP will inform ATOS if you are doing Voluntary or Permitted Work and the work will be considered during any assessment in regard to your meeting the ESA Descriptors, so you will need to show that the work is not at odds with your stated limitations on the ESA50.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tmato2001

• bro58
10 years 3 weeks ago #119681 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA + work?

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.