× Members

End of ESA When can I apply again?

• aquila ann
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119744 by aquila ann
End of ESA When can I apply again? was created by aquila ann
After many years on IB I was originally refused ESA, scoring 0 points, this was changed to 15 points on appeal, but I did not get put in support group despite plenty of evidence that showed I did fit the descriptors. I have an on going appeal to upper tribunal which I am not really expecting to get me anywhere! Meanwhile my year on ESA comes to an end at the end of April. At what point can I put in a new application for ESA?? I can't seem to find this out. Do I have to show a deterioration in my condition in order to re-apply? Or would some sort of new 'evidence' be sufficient?
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119745 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic End of ESA When can I apply again?

aquila ann wrote: After many years on IB I was originally refused ESA, scoring 0 points, this was changed to 15 points on appeal, but I did not get put in support group despite plenty of evidence that showed I did fit the descriptors. I have an on going appeal to upper tribunal which I am not really expecting to get me anywhere! Meanwhile my year on ESA comes to an end at the end of April. At what point can I put in a new application for ESA?? I can't seem to find this out. Do I have to show a deterioration in my condition in order to re-apply? Or would some sort of new 'evidence' be sufficient?

Hi aa,

Welcome to Benefits and Work .

As it seems that you were in receipt of IB for "many years", even if you were to make a fresh claim for ESA, it is not likely that you would have the necessary NI Contributions for further entitlement to Contribution Based (CB) ESA.

The current years used for NI Contributions (gained from employment) are 2011/12 and 2012/13.

Your options are as follows :

Ask for and fill in an ESA 3 Form to see whether you are entitled to Income Related (IR) ESA payments.

You will have to pass the means test for household income, capital, assets and savings, and your partner (if you have one) cannot be working more than 24 hours/week.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you are not entitled to IR ESA, payments of CB ESA will cease, and you will only receive NI Credits towards your State Pension.

If your condition has deteriorated or you suffer from different medical conditions since the time of the WRAG award and you feel that you now qualify for The SG, you can request a review/supersession to try and gain access to The SG.

If you are successful, payment of CB ESA will be restated from the date of the superceding SG award, and will remain in payment for as long as you remain in The SG.

See :

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

&

Qualifying for the Support Group

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.