× Members

Change Contribution ESA to Income Related ESA

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119787 by persona1973
All

Thanks for all your previous help - it has been most useful.

Having come to the end of my year on Contribution Based ESA which runs out Mid May I now find myself having to apply for income based ESA.

I have no savings or other income aside from the permitted work that I am doing which has been approved by my work provider and the DWP.

My first query is that contrary to what my work provider told me previously, that my permitted work earnings are now classed as income although previously they were not counted against contribution based ESA.

Also I have applied for a ESA3 form to be sent to myself - when I received the first communication from the DWP about my changeover - they told me to send the form in a fortnight before the change - however with the backlog I am aware exists at Belfast I have decided to do this a month before in order to try and get it set.

Has anyone got any experience of filling these forms out and what it entails - it is commonly called means testing but this is the first time ive been through the process (having previously been on IB) and aside from my permitted work I have no other savings or income.

I did try and search the forums on this so if anyone can point to relevant threads of give advice that would be appreciated.

Thanks for help in advance and in the past.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119794 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Change Contribution ESA to Income Related ESA
Hi P,

I think you are sensible to get your ESA3 returned earlier than DWP advised! We cannot give specific advice as we don't know the details or your finances (nor would be wish to!), the only thing I can recommend is to take your time to work through the form having youir bank statements etc to hand. If you live with a partner you must include details of their income/assets too, if you liver alone that is one thing less to deal with!

I believe that your work provider is mistaken in telling you that the wage from your permitted work will be counted as income. Don't forget that these people know little, if anything, about the benefits sytem!

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: persona1973

More
10 years 1 month ago #119814 by Mabel2015
Replied by Mabel2015 on topic Change Contribution ESA to Income Related ESA
Hi.

I agree with above in that the advisor is incorrect. Permitted work monies should not affect income related ESA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: persona1973

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119939 by persona1973
Replied by persona1973 on topic Change Contribution ESA to Income Related ESA
Thanks for the above

However it was the DWP who told me that permitted work income would affect my income related ESA - ill have to check this with them.

Also has anyone experience of the process regarding the transfer - how long it will take and any other information regarding the process would be helpful.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 month ago #119940 by Gordon

persona1973 wrote: Thanks for the above

However it was the DWP who told me that permitted work income would affect my income related ESA - ill have to check this with them.

Also has anyone experience of the process regarding the transfer - how long it will take and any other information regarding the process would be helpful.

Thanks again for your assistance.

As a general rule, do not assume that the DWP staff on the ESA Helpline know what they are talking about :(

It should be possible to effect the change within two weeks, so there should be no reason for your payments to be interrupted, any delay will likely be because the DWP need to see evidence of your income and savings, they will write to you if this is the case.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
10 years 1 month ago #119944 by persona1973
Replied by persona1973 on topic Change Contribution ESA to Income Related ESA
Thanks Gordon

On the ESA3 form, it doesnt seem to say that I am required to send statements in - merely account for how much are in my total accounts (which I found quite strange in truth).

So they will write back once the form is received to request statements. Is that the case?

Thanks again.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.