× Members

PIP awarded for 3 years: Complex cond inc ME/ CFS

• Simbi
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #119911 by Simbi
Hi. I received my PIP award letter this morning and I have been awarded PIP Enhanced Rate Care (28 points) and Enhanced Mobility (16 points).

The overall result was great news for me, as I was turned down for DLA 2 years ago (I believe I probably would have won the DLA middle rate care and high rate mobility at Appeal - but was too ill to challenge the decision at the time).

However, I have a number of complex conditions, and the manner in which I was awarded the 28 points completely ignore the severe chronic fatigue and pain problems that I have due to ME/CFS. There were a lot of 2-4 points for 'needing prompting' and 'requiring assistance' but no recognition that I am PHYSICALLY completely unable to do these activities at MOST points of the day - even with help from another person (I had made this clear in my questionnaire). This is in contrast to being awarded the full 12 points for mobilising! I haven't received my Medical Report yet, but will try to give advice to other ME/CFS sufferers once I have had chance to analyse it. In the meantime I'd just like to warn other sufferers about this issue (there is probably an element of luck in who you have assessing you). My medical was cut short due to me being unable to cope mentally and it seems to me that the HCP just focused on the mental health aspect of my difficulties, subsequently never bothering to refer back to my detailed written descriptions when making her written report to 'fill in the gaps' (she failed to ask me about the physical difficulties in the half hour I was with her). I have suffered M.E. for 20 years (fluctuating from moderate to severe) so I found this apparent 'disbelief' in the physical reality of my illness very distressing. In fact it is having to deal with this sceptical attitude in others that has actually led to my current anxiety and depression!

Nevertheless, many thanks to Benefits and Work as I would never have been able to complete my application - and get the result I did - without the brilliant PIP guide (especially considering this is a new award and it had to be produced 'hypothetically')!

Sarah
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago #119912 by

Simbi wrote: Hi. I received my PIP award letter this morning and I have been awarded PIP Enhanced Rate Care (28 points) and Enhanced Mobility (16 points).

The overall result was great news for me, as I was turned down for DLA 2 years ago (I believe I probably would have won the DLA middle rate care and high rate mobility at Appeal - but was too ill to challenge the decision at the time).

However, I have a number of complex conditions, and the manner in which I was awarded the 28 points completely ignore the severe chronic fatigue and pain problems that I have due to ME/CFS. There were a lot of 2-4 points for 'needing prompting' and 'requiring assistance' but no recognition that I am PHYSICALLY completely unable to do these activities at MOST points of the day - even with help from another person (I had made this clear in my questionnaire). This is in contrast to being awarded the full 12 points for mobilising! I haven't received my Medical Report yet, but will try to give advice to other ME/CFS sufferers once I have had chance to analyse it. In the meantime I'd just like to warn other sufferers about this issue (there is probably an element of luck in who you have assessing you). My medical was cut short due to me being unable to cope mentally and it seems to me that the HCP just focused on the mental health aspect of my difficulties, subsequently never bothering to refer back to my detailed written descriptions when making her written report to 'fill in the gaps' (she failed to ask me about the physical difficulties in the half hour I was with her). I have suffered M.E. for 20 years (fluctuating from moderate to severe) so I found this apparent 'disbelief' in the physical reality of my illness very distressing. In fact it is having to deal with this sceptical attitude in others that has actually led to my current anxiety and depression!

Nevertheless, many thanks to Benefits and Work as I would never have been able to complete my application - and get the result I did - without the brilliant PIP guide (especially considering this is a new award and it had to be produced 'hypothetically')!

Sarah

Hi S,

That is really good news !!!! :)

Thanks for letting us all know, and for your kind words.

Your post can only encourage other members with respect to obtaining the correct PIP awards.

bro58

More
10 years 1 week ago #120137 by ELEANOR
Great news, Sarah! :cheer: I, too, have ME/CFS and am awaiting MR though I am only claiming the mobility component.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.