× Members

SDA to ESA

• Susan
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120020 by Susan
SDA to ESA was created by Susan
I have been on SDA since about the mid 90's receiving DLA (after a 4 year fight) middle rate care both of which I still receive. I have received a letter and now form to fill in for transfer from SDA to ESA limited capacity for work. I was previously told I would not be contacted before 2015 so the letter was a bit of a shock.

I can't find anything about the transfer from SDA to ESA and as I will be 61 this year would I be forced to go to the work group or will I just get put in the support group? In addition to the reasons I was awarded both SDA/DLA the problems will get worse with age, so I have no idea what to do (other than worry)

Any advice?
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #120022 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA to ESA
Susan

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

The transfer of IB, SDA and IS due to Incapacity claimants has been going on for three years, I think you are confusing the 2015 date with the transfer of DLA to PIP.

I am afraid that neither your age nor your current SDA status will have any influence on what, if any, award for ESA you receive, this will be entirely dependant on the information you supply in the ESA50 claim form and any evidence that is attached.

Have a look at our IB/IS/SDA transfer FAQs

and our ESA Claim guides

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

If you are placed in the WRAG, then whether you are required to participate in Work Related Activity will depend on whether you meet the Upper Age Limit, see the following

Work Focussed Interviews

If you have any questions about the transfer or completing the ESA50, then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Susan

• Susan
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #120261 by Susan
Replied by Susan on topic SDA to ESA
Thanks for the information, I have managed to fill in the form but will need to send full information in an enclosed statement as my conditions are complex and there's not enough room for them in the form boxes I just hope the statement will get read as it will be long. I was last at my gp's in February and don't know if it is worth going back to discuss the form in case the DWP need information from my doctor or not?
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 1 week ago #120264 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA to ESA

Susan wrote: Thanks for the information, I have managed to fill in the form but will need to send full information in an enclosed statement as my conditions are complex and there's not enough room for them in the form boxes I just hope the statement will get read as it will be long. I was last at my gp's in February and don't know if it is worth going back to discuss the form in case the DWP need information from my doctor or not?

Don't let the form limit what you want to say about your limitations in regard to each question on the ESA50, it is not unusual for claimants to have to continue on additional sheets, just make sure that each page is clearly reference to the relevant question, we also recommend numbering each sheet in a format of "page x of y".

It is certainly worth speaking to your GP, if nothing else is will allow you to determine how much support you can expect from them. The DWP may contact them but they only do this in about 25% of claims, but your GP may be willing to provide you with a report or letter in support of your claim. If they do then it needs to refer to the ESA descriptors, a general comment such as "unfit for work" will be of little value.

It is really important that the ESA50 is returned to ATOS by the date on the accompanying letter, so if you are delayed with any of the information that you want to include, return the form on time and send the additional content as soon as you can.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Susan

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.