× Members

PIP and work

• K8
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120050 by K8
PIP and work was created by K8
Hi,

I have Fibromyalgia and by some huge effort of will I manage to work. I need to try and get some help with things and being able to work part time would be an amazing help if I could afford to. However, I am worried about how working will affect a PIP claim?? Any ideas? Is it worth even trying?

Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120052 by
Replied by on topic PIP and work

K8 wrote: Hi,

I have Fibromyalgia and by some huge effort of will I manage to work. I need to try and get some help with things and being able to work part time would be an amazing help if I could afford to. However, I am worried about how working will affect a PIP claim?? Any ideas? Is it worth even trying?

Thanks

Hi K8,

Like DLA, PIP is an "In Work" benefits, in that you can be in employment and still receive either.

However, you should be aware that the actions/duties that are involved with any such work may be taken into account, and could be damaging to your PIP claim, if they are in contradiction of your stated Mobility or Daily Living limitations.

e.g. Someone who was doing a job which involved "walking" stating that they had severe "walking" limitations, a postman, leaflet delivery, etc, etc.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by .

• K8
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120057 by K8
Replied by K8 on topic PIP and work
Hi bro58,

Thanks for your response. In which case the fact that I sit at a desk all day and don;t have to walk more than about 15m shouldn;t be a problem. However, when I am so exhausted that I am literally nodding off at my desk may have an effect on that part of my claim? I am understanding this correctly?
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #120063 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and work

K8 wrote: Hi bro58,

Thanks for your response. In which case the fact that I sit at a desk all day and don;t have to walk more than about 15m shouldn;t be a problem. However, when I am so exhausted that I am literally nodding off at my desk may have an effect on that part of my claim? I am understanding this correctly?

You need to go through your claim form and look at whether your working contradicts what you have put on the form, try and put yourself in the position of someone reading it for the first time.

As another example, for someone with incontinence, do they have easy access to a toilet, is their job one that allows unscheduled trop to the toilet, are there facilities available should the claimant need to clean themselves.

If the claimant has Social Anxiety, how do they work in an office environment?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.